Woodnet Forums
What finish would be best? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: What finish would be best? (/showthread.php?tid=7086819)

What finish would be best? - teacher - 09-01-2015

Did a little sawdust therapy and kicked out this small vase/weedpot from a blank of spalted hackberry that my son had given me for Father's day. First time turning anything spalted and curious as to what type of finish would really make the grain pop out on this

Re: What finish would be best? - AHill - 09-01-2015

Almost any oil finish should do the job. I like Waterlox, but it is expensive compared to some other oil based finishes. Danish Oil is a commonly used finish that would also work, and it's commonly available at the big box stores, and even Walmart.

Re: What finish would be best? - Herb G - 09-01-2015

I'd go with a spar urethane spray, in a satin finish.
Helmsman makes a really excellent spray in the rattle cans.

Re: What finish would be best? - n7bsn - 09-01-2015

I believe that "Finish Follows Function"
That is a utility piece gets a different finish then a decorative one.
I'd class your piece as decorative. Which means a film finish.

Wipe-on-Poly, spray lacquer, shellac, etc. Followed by a light buff and wax.

Re: What finish would be best? - badwhiskey - 09-01-2015

What interesting timing. I just finished this spalted maple vase. I used rattle can shellac. You can decide if you like it. One positive thing, it seemed to harden the slightly punky wood.

Re: What finish would be best? - Arlin Eastman - 09-01-2015

badwhiskey said:

What interesting timing. I just finished this spalted maple vase. I used rattle can shellac. You can decide if you like it. One positive thing, it seemed to harden the slightly punky wood.

Like BW I use Deft Danish Oil and then top it off with Shellac after the oil is dry. To me personally that is a great finish.

Arlin

PS = The vase is nicely done. Someday I will get enough of any spalted wood I want.

Re: What finish would be best? - Dennis Puskar - 09-01-2015

BLO would bring out the grain and then finish with some poly.

Re: What finish would be best? - badwhiskey - 09-01-2015

Thanks Arlin. The wood came from the firewood pile. I have the family trained not to burn any interesting wood!

Re: What finish would be best? - AHill - 09-02-2015

I can certainly understand using certain finishes when the intended function is considered. For example, I wouldn't ever use a film finish on a salad bowl. What is your rationale for a film finish? Easier to apply? Makes the grain pop better than an oil finish?

n7bsn said:

I believe that "Finish Follows Function"
That is a utility piece gets a different finish then a decorative one.
I'd class your piece as decorative. Which means a film finish.

Wipe-on-Poly, spray lacquer, shellac, etc. Followed by a light buff and wax.

Re: What finish would be best? - n7bsn - 09-02-2015

AHill said:

I can certainly understand using certain finishes when the intended function is considered. For example, I wouldn't ever use a film finish on a salad bowl. What is your rationale for a film finish? Easier to apply? Makes the grain pop better than an oil finish?

People like high gloss finish. But for a functional piece that film finish will eventually chip and look terrible.