Woodnet Forums
Spalling Concrete - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Spalling Concrete (/showthread.php?tid=7090170)

Spalling Concrete - Rick_B - 09-05-2015

Good morning folks - I've got some spalling going on with our concrete walkway - its occurring in only a few spots where the to layer is chipping off. I suspect it is due to using too much salt in the winter. In my area we have temperature extremes of below zero to 90 degrees. I'm looking for some suggestions on products I could use to resurface the spalled areas with a high degree of probable success?

Thanks

Re: Spalling Concrete - daddo - 09-05-2015

You've been to the water parks and seen that rubber style coating they put on the concrete? The stuff seems a perfect item for something like this. I wonder why they don't come up with this for drives?

I think I know your answer, but I'm not a concrete expert, but I think the best solution isn't going to please you.

Re: Spalling Concrete - macpiano - 09-05-2015

daddo said:

You've been to the water parks and seen that rubber style coating they put on the concrete? The stuff seems a perfect item for something like this. I wonder why they don't come up with this for drives?

I think I know your answer, but I'm not a concrete expert, but I think the best solution isn't going to please you.

+1

Re: Spalling Concrete - mike4244 - 09-06-2015

In my opinion you have two choices.Break up the walkway and re-do it. Install pavers over the spalled concrete is another option.
mike

Re: Spalling Concrete - Rick_B - 09-06-2015

I was kind of afraid of these answers - so there's no resurfacing product that would have a chance of holding up? I'm not likely to replace the walkway sections affected - not that many of them (yet) and it is purely an aesthetic thing for now.

Re: Spalling Concrete - jteneyck - 09-06-2015

Look up Top N Bond.

John

Re: Spalling Concrete - Lynden - 09-06-2015

Rick_B said:

I was kind of afraid of these answers - so there's no resurfacing product that would have a chance of holding up? I'm not likely to replace the walkway sections affected - not that many of them (yet) and it is purely an aesthetic thing for now.

There is a lot of information about spalling and other concrete-related issues on ConcreteNetwork.com.

http://www.concretenetwork.com/search.html?q=spalling+concrete+repair

Here's one example. The video on the right is about fixing the spalling.

http://www.concretenetwork.com/fix-spalled-concrete/fixing-a-spalled-driveway.html

Re: Spalling Concrete - fishhh4 - 09-07-2015

We have been using MG-KRETE at work.

pretty good stuff

Re: Spalling Concrete - Phil Thien - 09-07-2015

I actually like a little spalling, it tends to prevent that thin black ice from forming.

There is a lot of sidewalk in my neighborhood that is decades old and worn down to aggregate and it is safer in the winter. But now they're replacing a lot of it with new concrete that is really smooth.