Woodnet Forums
Planer - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Planer (/showthread.php?tid=7097097)

Planer - Peter Tremblay - 09-14-2015

Hello all,

I was given a small 12" lunchbox planer a while ago and it has been incredibly useful.

I am constantly using it and I can't remember what it was like to be without it.

However, I'm thinking about the possibiliy of an upgrade in the future.

So what is your dream planer? And why?

I think it goes without saying that it would have a helical head with carbide inserts.

Just curious.

I'm not sure if I can actually save up for the dream planer as it will probably be incredible hard to move every few years.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks

Re: Planer - rayknight - 09-14-2015

Peter - In the portable tool range the Dewalt 735 is probably most people's best choice, and has helical heads.
If you have a permanent location, room and the money a full sized 15", Grizzly or Powermatic 15 with carbide helical heads.
My guess is you need to keep the option of being portable, if so, probably the Dewalt. I have the Grizzly 15 full size, my son is looking at the Dewalt 735 (he needs to be portable).
Ray

Re: Planer - fredhargis - 09-14-2015

My dream planer, a 20", wasn't what I bought because I knew we would be moving and I didn't want to fight the 800# or so. I bought a 15", which is still work to move...but manageable. We did move and it made the (short) trip safely. I have to admit though, if I was moving a lot that 735 would sure look good.

Re: Planer - paarker - 09-14-2015

I have the Dewalt with a Byrd head and it is a dream. A little loud, but nothing ear plugs do not cure. It is not hard at all to move.

Re: Planer - Scoony - 09-14-2015

I have been living with a 13" Ridgid planer and it works just fine. I would love to upgrade to a 15" and will someday, but for now, the Ridgid gets the job done. Heck, I may upgrade to a helical head and just keep it as it does not take up a lot of space.

Re: Planer - dg152 - 09-14-2015

Like you, I had been using a lunchbox planer - a Delta 22-580. Good planer. I'd put many feet of lumber through it. While I liked the planer very much there were some things I didn't like - it was loud (I'm told almost all planers this size are), it was slow, and the rollers didn't always pull the wood through without a little manual help. So, when Jet Tools had a 10% off sale earlier this year (I think they've got the same thing going on right now), I spent way more money than I should have and bought an 8-inch jointer and 15-inch planer - both with the helical heads.

Wow! No more hearing protection, all sorts of power, 15-inch width capacity and a smooth finish which takes very little sanding. Yeah, I'm a happy camper.

If money was no object, I might have bought the Powermatic (also made a sold by Jet Tools). It's a little more refined that the Jet with some additional features which come at a higher cost.

Good question. You're gonna get a lot of opinions.

Re: Planer - Aram - 09-14-2015

Hey Peter,

I went from a 12" Dewalt (very nice) to a Powermatic 15HH. That's the one with the Byrd. While nothing is keener than sharp knives, I use a lot of figured woods, and the helical cutters solve the tear-out issue. Mostly. I occasionally wish I had the 20," but that's a rarity. My only complaint is pronounced snipe on both ends, which I have not yet been able to dial out. More tinkering, maybe.

Sooooo much quieter than the lunch box!

Re: Planer - Peter Tremblay - 09-14-2015

fredhargis said:

My dream planer, a 20", wasn't what I bought because I knew we would be moving and I didn't want to fight the 800# or so. I bought a 15", which is still work to move...but manageable. We did move and it made the (short) trip safely. I have to admit though, if I was moving a lot that 735 would sure look good.

I agree. I was wondering if something like this

http://www.amazon.com/708531-JWP-16OS-16-Inch-3-Horsepower-230-Volt/dp/B0000C6DYK

Wouldn't be easy enough to break down and move.

I break down my band saw and drill press.

Re: Planer - Arlin Eastman - 09-14-2015

Peter

This is what the VA bought for me

http://www.grizzly.com/products/15-3-HP-240V-Planer-with-Spiral-Cutterhead/G0453Z and it is a Wonderful machine and works like a dream

I like it but me personally I would rather have something smaller and a bigger Jointer like a 12"

Arlin

Re: Planer - Peter Tremblay - 09-14-2015

Interesting

I don't have a jointer and I get by ok and don't really feel the need.
It would be great but I have a jointing sled for the planer and I can do everything with that and my hand planes.