Woodnet Forums
Food safe epoxy? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Food safe epoxy? (/showthread.php?tid=7098890)

Food safe epoxy? - The Boxer - 09-16-2015

I am making some beer steins for Christmas. I need to leak proof the wood. I there a wood safe epoxy you can recommend?

Re: Food safe epoxy? - Steve N - 09-16-2015

I could be wrong, but I think if dried fully none of them would pose a health risk.

That said this site says theirs are food safe, and FDA approved.

It will be interesting seeing other answers.

Re: Food safe epoxy? - Herebrooks - 09-17-2015

The consensous among alot of woodworkers( Curtis Buchanan being one) is epoxy is food safe when it is fully cured.

Re: Food safe epoxy? - Howard Acheson - 09-17-2015

>>>> I think if dried fully none of them would pose a health risk.

You are correct.

Re: Food safe epoxy? - Cooler - 09-17-2015

You could finish with shellac (which is food safe once dried) and seal with a food safe silicone sealer (Graingers sells this sealer).

Re: Food safe epoxy? - kludge - 09-17-2015

I like West System. Their resin is used in commercial water tanks. Give it a week to completely gas off first. That's what I did for the one I made.

There is a FDA certification for epoxy, and I think only a hand full have endured the process. If I was selling it, I'd want to have that assurance for my customers.

Re: Food safe epoxy? - DogwoodTales - 09-18-2015

Bob Flexner has state ad nauseam that all finishes are food safe once fully cured

with that in mind, to be on the safe side, I would make and finish these steins a good month in advance of gifting

Re: Food safe epoxy? - The Boxer - 09-19-2015

Thanks for all the reply. I Purchased a product called "Envirotech" 2 part epoxy. I will be using this week and then giving them as Christmas gifts