Woodnet Forums
Shower can light issue - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Shower can light issue (/showthread.php?tid=7102302)

Shower can light issue - sroxberg - 09-21-2015

My friend has a light over their shower. It appears to be a can light since it has the ring, and I can pull it down and see the can. The light has a frosted glass over the bulb area.

The problem is the bulb is burned out and I can't tell how to get to the bulb to replace it. The frosted glass part won't unscrew, and it isn't obvious how to replace it.

I'll try to get a picture, but was hoping someone may know what I'm talking about and give me a clue.

Re: Shower can light issue - Ohio Mike - 09-21-2015

If it's made by HALO, the frosted glass is held in by short pins that protrude from the fixture.

Push the frosted lens up into the fixture about 1/16"

Rotate frosted glass counter-clockwise about 1 inch.

Frosted glass will now drop out of fixture by its own weight.

Instructions above are for fixture that looks like this:

Mike

Re: Shower can light issue - Bob10 - 09-21-2015

Most cans you just pull the ring down as it has springs or spring clips that keep it in place. The thing that usually makes the process a bit difficult is paint making the ring part of the ceiling. A sharp knife making the separation tear free is my method

Re: Shower can light issue - live4ever - 09-21-2015

Could be an LED if relatively new (last 5 years). Those units are rotated counter clockwise (the ring is often integral to the unit) so they can drop down, then undone from the can socket.

Re: Shower can light issue - sroxberg - 09-21-2015

I doubt it is an LED, probably ten years old and the bulb is burned out.

I can get the ring down and can see the spring clips. I may have to take it out of the ceiling.

I've tried to push the glass up and turn it both directions but it won't turn.

Has a flat bottom to the frosted white glass, about an inch below the ceiling and I'm still lost.

Will climb up there again this evening and possibly find a solution, worst case I'll grab some pictures and maybe try to get the fixture label or manufacturer.

Re: Shower can light issue - who - 09-21-2015

The ring and glass slides down and you can see inside the fixture, yes?

Pinch those slide wires together and unhook from the can.

Re: Shower can light issue - sroxberg - 09-21-2015

Wow, I took the fixture out and the glass does rotate but man it took all I do muster to get it to turn, About 1/4 turn. It has a regular light bulb in it so it will now be an LED so I hopefully never have to change it again.