Woodnet Forums
sunday at the flea, how'd i do for $46 - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: sunday at the flea, how'd i do for $46 (/showthread.php?tid=7117622)

sunday at the flea, how'd i do for $46 - Pat Zabrocki - 10-12-2015

Hadn't been to the local flea market all summer so I went on Sunday morning. I found a very nice Stanley 5/12 type 13 for $40 and Disston D-15 10 pt crosscut for $6. Saw is pin straight but needs to be cleaned up. The plane is really nice, probably not a great bargain but I have a tote to swap from 6 otherwise its a great sweetheart era plane
pat
" />
" />
" />
" />

Re: sunday at the flea, how'd i do for $46 - KlausK. - 10-12-2015

Great score I'd say! Congrats. The plane seems to be in very nice condition with nearly all of the japanning. Little rust, clearly no pitting so easy to clean up. If you have a well matching replacement handle, it's a quick way to solve the little issue. But honestly, the handle seems to be easy to repair. It's just the horn otherwise it's in perfect condition.

The saw is an eye catcher. With rosewood handle and clear etching! Easy to clean up, I'd say. These don't show up all that often - here in Germany never!

Well done!

Klaus

Re: sunday at the flea, how'd i do for $46 - Pat Zabrocki - 10-12-2015

I agree the tote is an easy fix but the plane is so darn nice, I'm going to put one without a repair on it. In fact, i already did. I had a very nice tote on 6 from the same era with a label. The 5 1/2s are more valuable than the 6s so I thought the good tote was best for the 5 1/2 and I'll repair this one and put it on the 6.
pat

Re: sunday at the flea, how'd i do for $46 - Admiral - 10-12-2015

Very nice 5 1/2.

Re: sunday at the flea, how'd i do for $46 - C. in Indy - 10-12-2015

You did great! I hit a flea market last week and found a Rosewood D15 for only $5.00, but it's much worse for blade-tarnish than yours.

Re: sunday at the flea, how'd i do for $46 - TroutVictor - 10-12-2015

I'm not much of an expert, more of a 'dabbler', in the old tools arena but to my eye it looks like you scored a sweet deal.

Re: sunday at the flea, how'd i do for $46 - Pat Zabrocki - 10-12-2015

Wiped the 5 1/2 down a bit and put a much nicer tote on it. There is not a speck of japanning missing on that plane and the tote with the nice little label on it is perfect.
loving this plane!

pat " />

Re: sunday at the flea, how'd i do for $46 - Blacky's Boy - 10-12-2015

Nice!

Re: sunday at the flea, how'd i do for $46 - Gregory of Sherwood Forest - 10-12-2015

Wow, that's a stunner now. Great finds.

Re: sunday at the flea, how'd i do for $46 - Stwood_ - 10-12-2015

Sweet. I like 13's