Woodnet Forums
vinyl siding mounting block question - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: vinyl siding mounting block question (/showthread.php?tid=7117727)

vinyl siding mounting block question - Andydiy - 10-12-2015

Surface Block

I have new carriage lights that I would like to install. Currently, they are just attached to the siding/electrical box, there is not decorative mounting block. I would like to use the above mounting block to "dress" it up a little but I'm not sure how the block stays attached to the siding. Does the light fixture hold it up? I could maybe put some caulk on the top of the block where it meets the lap of the siding.

Re: vinyl siding mounting block question - Woodenfish - 10-12-2015

If you open the link and scroll down you will find another link with the technical specifications and installation instructions for the product.

Re: vinyl siding mounting block question - JGrout - 10-12-2015

or just open this link

Re: vinyl siding mounting block question - Andydiy - 10-12-2015

Woodenfish said:

If you open the link and scroll down you will find another link with the technical specifications and installation instructions for the product.

I saw that before I posted this question. That's not the correct product. That is for a new construction mounting block. I went to the website to find to correct instructions but I was not successful.

Re: vinyl siding mounting block question - GHR - 10-12-2015

So you remove a couple sections of siding, attach the block, reinstall the siding.

You will need a tool to unhook the bottom of the siding.

Re: vinyl siding mounting block question - theeviltwinn - 10-13-2015

Yes, the fixture will hold it in place. Or you could add a couple of hidden screws behind the fixture.

Twinn

Re: vinyl siding mounting block question - CLETUS - 10-13-2015

That looks a bit different that the trim piece / mounting block I used. However, yes the fixture held up the mounting block. I caulked around the outside of the trim piece with clear silicone.

Re: vinyl siding mounting block question - arthropod98 - 10-14-2015

i used one of these for the light by the garage door -- worked pretty well. yep, fixture itself holds the block in place, and it's been fine for years now.

i used a thin foam strip around the top and sides where it meets the siding.

Re: vinyl siding mounting block question - crokettâ„¢ - 10-18-2015

I'd get longer screws and use the fixture to hold it on, then caulk at least the top and down the sides to prevent water intrusion.