Woodnet Forums
Experienced Woodworkers Needed ( Milwaukee Area ) - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Experienced Woodworkers Needed ( Milwaukee Area ) (/showthread.php?tid=7117742)

Pages: 1 2

Experienced Woodworkers Needed ( Milwaukee Area ) - Timberwerks - 10-12-2015

I figured this would be the best forum to post this.

thewoodworkersgym.com in the Milwaukee area is looking for semi - experienced woodworkers to come on board as shop monitors, instructors & possibly help with the facility build out.

For more details contact thewoodworkersgym.com

Re: Experienced Woodworkers Needed ( Milwaukee Area ) - DonJuvet - 10-13-2015

Nice. I think it would be a good business. Especially in an urban setting.
Would never fly in CA with the lawyers

Re: Experienced Woodworkers Needed ( Milwaukee Area ) - BloomingtonMike - 10-13-2015

At the cost of over a hundred a month there I am going to be watching their success with interest.

Re: Experienced Woodworkers Needed ( Milwaukee Area ) - Rob Young - 10-13-2015

Kansas City Woodworkers' Guild -- $75/YEAR (yes, YEAR) gets you shop access. Shop is open between 150 and 180 hours per month, staffed by volunteers.

About 9,000 square feet of space dedicated to stationary machines, benches & small tool storage.

http://kcwoodworkersguild.org/

Re: Experienced Woodworkers Needed ( Milwaukee Area ) - DonJuvet - 10-13-2015

So the guild shop is only open MAYBE 13-15 days a month?

Re: Experienced Woodworkers Needed ( Milwaukee Area ) - BloomingtonMike - 10-13-2015

DonJuvet said:

So the guild shop is only open MAYBE 13-15 days a month?

Their schedule looked like 25+ days they had hours available.

Re: Experienced Woodworkers Needed ( Milwaukee Area ) - Rob Young - 10-14-2015

Pretty much every day of the week has some number of hours scheduled. Some days we can only get people to staff the shop for 4 hours. Other days, it is open for 12.

Space is also used for meetings and classes.

More volunteers == more hours (we don't have much coverage for 3rd shift times).

Shop scheduled 170 hours in October plus an additional 55 hours allocated to classes & meetings. Meetings includes the KC Woodworkers' Guild, KC Woodturners (sub-lease the space so they also have time available on their lathes + additional classes), "Special Interest Groups" (a club-within-a-club, SIGs include scrollsawing, handtools, CNC, woodcarving, etc). Classes this month include an introduction to woodworking (Jr. High woodshop for those that never got to take woodshop) & an Xmas wooden toy build-a-palooza to make nearly 1000 toys for a local charity to give away (and participants can continue building toys in their sleep for any other gift-giving needs).

Social member $50/yr, Senior social member $35/yr, access to the shop $75/yr. Membership just topped out over 600 of whom about 2/3 are qualified (safety orientation program) to use the shop space.

October schedule here : http://kcwoodworkersguild.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/OS-10-15.pdf

Re: Experienced Woodworkers Needed ( Milwaukee Area ) - vbwoodworks - 10-17-2015

It seems that the shop is open roughly 40 hours a week.

Re: Experienced Woodworkers Needed ( Milwaukee Area ) - Steve K - 10-17-2015

Rob Young said:

Kansas City Woodworkers' Guild -- $75/YEAR (yes, YEAR) gets you shop access. Shop is open between 150 and 180 hours per month, staffed by volunteers.

About 9,000 square feet of space dedicated to stationary machines, benches & small tool storage.

http://kcwoodworkersguild.org/

I'm a member of the Huntertown woodworking club in Huntertown IN, dues are going up this year to 50 bucks a year"(yes, year)", since I've been a member the dues have been $35.00 year. Shop is open every day except Sunday and there is always a host or two on site, who also prepare a lunch every day. Not sure what the square footage is but the shop is very well equipped.
There are actually 3 clubs in the facility, Huntertwon woodworkers, Three Rivers woodworking club and the Northeast Indiana Turners and chiselers of which I am also a member, dues increased to 20 bucks a year, up from 15 last year.
Aside from the woodworking side there is a dedicated demonstration room with a Oneway lathe, not sure the model but it has a 24" swing.
At least once a year the club hosts a "celebrity" turner. Last years guest was Binh Pho, an amazing artist who also tells an amazing story.
The club also has it's own kiln and members get a great price break on most domestic hardwoods, if they help with milling and stacking. Last Tuesday and Wednesday we milled approx. 35 logs and put them in the kiln. Very blessed to have such a facility within driving distance.

Huntertown Woodworkers

Re: Experienced Woodworkers Needed ( Milwaukee Area ) - Rob Young - 10-17-2015

Steve K said:

I'm a member of the Huntertown woodworking club in Huntertown IN, dues are going up this year to 50 bucks a year"(yes, year)", since I've been a member the dues have been $35.00 year. Shop is open every day except Sunday and there is always a host or two on site, who also prepare a lunch every day. Not sure what the square footage is but the shop is very well equipped.
There are actually 3 clubs in the facility, Huntertwon woodworkers, Three Rivers woodworking club and the Northeast Indiana Turners and chiselers of which I am also a member, dues increased to 20 bucks a year, up from 15 last year.
Aside from the woodworking side there is a dedicated demonstration room with a Oneway lathe, not sure the model but it has a 24" swing.
At least once a year the club hosts a "celebrity" turner. Last years guest was Binh Pho, an amazing artist who also tells an amazing story.
The club also has it's own kiln and members get a great price break on most domestic hardwoods, if they help with milling and stacking. Last Tuesday and Wednesday we milled approx. 35 logs and put them in the kiln. Very blessed to have such a facility within driving distance.

Huntertown Woodworkers

Sounds like another great facility and club! Congratulations!

Web link is a dead end though. We would like to see more!