Woodnet Forums
Raised Panel Router Bit Question - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Raised Panel Router Bit Question (/showthread.php?tid=7121378)

Raised Panel Router Bit Question - Spokaneman - 10-17-2015

I have a 3 piece CMT "Kitchen Set" that includes router bits for rails, stiles and panels. The panel cutting bit hs no back cutter blade. I'm using it to make a decorative raised panel assembly on the ends of a book case. The project, once installed, will be subject to no movement of any kind.

So here's my question. Is the lack of a back cutting blade on the panel cutting bit a problem ?

The panel will sit proud of its frame, but since space is not a problem, and since the final assembly will not move, and since I'm certainly not finishing the completed panel with a drum sander, who cares? Am I missing something? And, most importantly, do I have to go out and spend $100 to get a bit that matches my set and has a back cutter?

Re: Raised Panel Router Bit Question - Robert Adams - 10-17-2015

Without a back cutter you need to plane your panels down to 5/8

Re: Raised Panel Router Bit Question - Spokaneman - 10-17-2015

Right now they're just shy of 7/8". I don't understand why that's necessary.

Re: Raised Panel Router Bit Question - barnowl - 10-17-2015

You can use a rabbeting bit as a back cutter. Just set it right for the cut you want.

Re: Raised Panel Router Bit Question - fredhargis - 10-17-2015

barnowl said:

You can use a rabbeting bit as a back cutter. Just set it right for the cut you want.

That's what I do, in fact I make it a point to buy the panel raisers without backcutters since I prefer to do my own.

Re: Raised Panel Router Bit Question - Rob Young - 10-17-2015

barnowl said:

+1

Adjust the width and depth so the panel rests comfortably in the grooves and has the projection on the show side that best fits the project.

Re: Raised Panel Router Bit Question - KC - 10-17-2015

Spokaneman said:

Right now they're just shy of 7/8". I don't understand why that's necessary.

You'll need to make a deeper cut on 7/8" stock for the tongue to fit in the frame. You can always just make a small rabbet around the edge of the rear to make it fit in the frame. I like the deeper profile on the front myself... if the bit will cut that deep.

Re: Raised Panel Router Bit Question - JGrout - 10-17-2015

none of the above

I would back cut the panel bring the panel down to just under the frame. any old cutter from a rabbet bit to a just the end of your raised panel bit will work. Yes, it is just another step but a simple one

See my other post to a question you raised for why

Joe