Woodnet Forums
Gas Fireplace Log Install - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Gas Fireplace Log Install (/showthread.php?tid=7129107)

Gas Fireplace Log Install - Danny in Houston - 10-27-2015

I paid a plumber several hundred dollars for this installation.

They used a gas appliance flexible connector in the firebox.

Comments?

Re: Gas Fireplace Log Install - Mr_Mike - 10-27-2015

What doe the appliance instructions say. Based on the pic, I see no other way.

Obviously it doesn't get so hot it will melt the plastic knob.

Re: Gas Fireplace Log Install - Danny in Houston - 10-27-2015

The instructions called for aluminum tubing with flared fittings. The plumber said he did not like flared fittings. The plumber went to a hardware store and bought the appliance tubing. It might be ok, and I'll cover it with sand and probably shield with a metal plate.

Re: Gas Fireplace Log Install - Mr_Mike - 10-27-2015

I'm not sure there is much difference. That is metal tubing with flared ends, right? But, I'd also not like to burn my house down. I might call the manufacturer and ask if that is sufficient.

I'd guess your installer just didn't want (or didn't know how) to fabricate a custom tube.

I may just repair it myself. Two options, fabricate a custom tube or use a stainless steel connector specific for this application. I ordered the stainless connector:

linky

Saw a neat trick for bending tubing, fill the tubing with sand to reduce crimping, remove sand after bending.

Re: Gas Fireplace Log Install - blackhat - 10-27-2015

I've been studying that pic from all different angles and my neck hurts now. WTH is that supposed to be?

Re: Gas Fireplace Log Install - theeviltwinn - 10-27-2015

Gas burner in a fireplace. The black part is sitting on the floor. Upper left is the rear wall. Upper right with the pipe coming out of it is the side wall.

Why the flex pipe? It looks easy enough to hard pipe from the wall to the regulator.

Twinn

Here is a better photo:

All of the manufacturers show a flexible connection, might be a code item?

The plastic knob gets covered by an insulated metal box. I'll add some type of insulation to the flexible connection, like a metal plate with fiberglass underneath, covered in sand.

Re: Gas Fireplace Log Install - blackhat - 10-27-2015

In this jurisdiction, that install has so many code violations, an inspector could pop a blood vessel.

blackhat said:

In this jurisdiction, that install has so many code violations, an inspector could pop a blood vessel.

Please provide details! This install is in rural Texas, but I want it to be safe.