Woodnet Forums
Woodcraft casters - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Woodcraft casters (/showthread.php?tid=7131064)

Woodcraft casters - fredhargis - 10-29-2015

I see Woodcraft has their HD line of casters on sale for 30% off. Are they any better than some of the cheaper imports? I'm in need of 4 and was considering these. To be honest I looked at HF and they had some I think will work, but they don't have any with the double locking feature on the swivel casters in the size I need. So the question is: how good are the woodcraft casters?

Re: Woodcraft casters - CARYinWA - 10-29-2015

the Woodcraft casters lock with less play then the Shop Fox or Hartville ones that I have used. I like them the best of all of the casters I have used. I bought a set from Rockler that are pretty good also. I do believe that there was somebody that came on here last time that we discussed casters and said they had problems with the Woodcraft caster falling apart. I have had zero issues..

Re: Woodcraft casters - mbw - 10-29-2015

Some years ago I put the woodcraft castors on my workbench . They work great, and when locked nothing can move them. Unfortunately tires wore out, and now they don't move even when I want it to.

Re: Woodcraft casters - bubba - 10-29-2015

mbw said:

Some years ago I put the woodcraft castors on my workbench . They work great, and when locked nothing can move them. Unfortunately tires wore out, and now they don't move even when I want it to.

They wore out?? Were you doing donuts on your shop floor with them?

Re: Woodcraft casters - mbw - 10-29-2015

No as a matter of fact, I rarely move the bench, which is very heavy. But at the beginning of spring I tried to move the bench and it wouldn't budge. It was then I noticed the wheels were flat.

Re: Woodcraft casters - Steve N - 10-29-2015

Hi Fred

I have 8 of them, and like them a lot. I may be grabbing some more. IIRC the ad has a line stating they are all 300# cap too. Good solid lock, swivel like a champ, and no goobers so far. That said I have really had good luck with the few HF ones I've tried. Didn't have any luck with some off Amazon, blue kinda plastic/rubber tire, cracked in the cold, and the swivels were cranky, and the WoodCraft were less $$ on sale. HF were cheaper yet on sale.

Re: Woodcraft casters - Grandpa Dave - 10-29-2015

I've never purchased Woodcraft so can't weigh in on theirs.

I have had good experience with the HF but like you couldn't find a locking version for a specific size/type.

Might check with a Menards if you have one in your area or Home Depot. I've had good luck with ones purchased from Menards.

Also Grizzly has a wide selection available. Not sure how the price with shipping would match up with what you need.

Re: Woodcraft casters - Gregory of Sherwood Forest - 10-29-2015

If you have a Tractor Supply store near you, check there. I've bought some there with the double locks and they come in a couple sizes. They are identical to the Woodcraft ones, as far as I can tell. They even go on sale occasionally. IIRC, they cost about 15%-20% less than at WoodCraft even not on sale.

Re: Woodcraft casters - fredhargis - 10-30-2015

Thanks, guys. I'll check TSC though I've seldom found anything resembling a deal in there. If they don't have what i need I'll go with the Woodcraft units. I'm wanting to put a workbench in my pole barn, but this one will have to be on casters...and it will be heavy; I'm using the old Griz top from my shop (replaced it recently). So with the frame and top I'm guessing the bench will weigh in the 250-300# range before I put anything on it. I've really done well with HF, I have some tractor attachments that weigh about 800# sitting on a frame made with HF casters...but thy don't need to lock. Thanks to all.