Woodnet Forums
Stamped concrete - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Stamped concrete (/showthread.php?tid=7138433)

Stamped concrete - Sawdustd - 11-08-2015

My friend has a concrete slab for her back porch, 12'x30', has declared it "ugly", and is considering covering the existing slab with stamped conrete -- call that prettier. Removing the existing slab is cost prohibitive. The existing slab is not cracked.

Questions: 1- Is it practical to overlay a layer of concrete on top of a slab. 2- If so, what would be the minimum thickness of the new layer?

Re: Stamped concrete - clockman - 11-08-2015

why not just put flagstone over it?

Re: Stamped concrete - Woodenfish - 11-08-2015

If the concrete is sound it can be overlaid. The minimum from what I've been told is the thickness of a credit card. This is a job for a pro.

Re: Stamped concrete - Lynden - 11-08-2015

Rather than stamping, which would require more thickness, your friend should get some estimates for installing thin "veneer" pavers on her existing slab.
https://www.google.com/search?client=saf...-8&oe=UTF-8

Re: Stamped concrete - daveferg - 11-08-2015

Sorry, but credit card thickness isn't going to work with stamping---I have a stamped pathway and the difference in height with stamped and unstamped areas is at least 3/16".

I would agree with those suggesting flagstone or some other material like tumbled stone, tile of some sort. Be sure to clean and prepare current surface before doing an overlay, for best adhesion. Friend of mine did rough surface tile over his slab and it looks great. Stamping is best left to new concrete work.

Re: Stamped concrete - JosephP - 11-08-2015

PM 2beast to see what he says...or get him to respond here so we can all learn.

Re: Stamped concrete - Wood'N'Scout - 11-08-2015

Just this summer I had a concrete overlay done for my pool deck. They used a proprietary mixture of cement, mixed and poured on site. They hand troweled it flat, used rubber stamps to provide texture, and then tooled joints into the wet cement to make it appear to be flagstone. During the troweling process they added colors (3 different powdered colors) to the top of the concrete. The total thickness added is only 1/4 inch. The results are spectacular.

Re: Stamped concrete - FlaAllan - 11-09-2015

We had a 15' x 30' screened porch and a walkway done in overlay on old concrete. It was pressure washed and acid washed before troweling on the skim coat which would be the grout color. The design was taped on, followed by another coat. Once that was stained, the tape came up and it was sealed. We are very happy with the job.
This center piece is 8' x 12', appearing like a rug under the dining table.

The front porch designed to look like field stones.

Re: Stamped concrete - JesseM - 11-09-2015

Wood'N'Scout said:

Just this summer I had a concrete overlay done for my pool deck. They used a proprietary mixture of cement, mixed and poured on site. They hand troweled it flat, used rubber stamps to provide texture, and then tooled joints into the wet cement to make it appear to be flagstone. During the troweling process they added colors (3 different powdered colors) to the top of the concrete. The total thickness added is only 1/4 inch. The results are spectacular.

Holmes on Homes has a guy that does this and the guy explained it as a product that has 100% adhesion (some kind of glue that bonds with the existing concrete), whereas new concrete has little adhesion to existing concrete. The results are impressive and very hard once dry. The guy was able to draw patterns and dye it to basically any pattern he wanted.