Woodnet Forums
maple?? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: maple?? (/showthread.php?tid=7144016)

maple?? - pinky - 11-15-2015

I think maple with an ebony finial. Sprayed lacquer. 8" wide x 6 1/2" tall.

Re: maple?? - Arlin Eastman - 11-15-2015

Goodness that is very pretty with the two tone colors.
Also what kind of form is that?
The finial is the best I have seen too.

I would really hate to see your stash of wood.

Arlin

Re: maple?? - jerickson - 11-15-2015

Another job well done!

I've been wanting to try some spray lacquer on a natural edge burl bowl I just finished. Any tips? I have never used spray lacquer before, but was going to pick up some Deft. I love the finish on this piece.

Re: maple?? - shoottmx - 11-15-2015

Lovely form. Awesome chunk of material. Just totally elegant!!

g

Re: maple?? - Tim J. Chase - 11-16-2015

Very nice form and the maple looks great lots of figure in it , you did Mother nature proud!

Re: maple?? - chips ahoy - 11-16-2015

jerickson said:

Another job well done!

I've been wanting to try some spray lacquer on a natural edge burl bowl I just finished. Any tips? I have never used spray lacquer before, but was going to pick up some Deft. I love the finish on this piece.

do several very light coats until you get the finish you want and sand lightly with 400 gr paper. Then beal buff.

Mel

Re: maple?? - pinky - 11-16-2015

This was done with a Mohawk rattle can of pre-cat lacquer. As Mel said, several light coats. I very lightly sand with 1200 grit. Didn't buff this one. Wear a respirator.

Re: maple?? - AHill - 11-16-2015

Really pretty, and a very well-formed finial. Is this hollowed out or solid? Doesn't seem like there's much access to hollow it out unless you did it from the bottom.

Re: maple?? - pinky - 11-16-2015

Removed as much as I could from the top before gluing the finial on. Pretty heavy though.

Re: maple?? - jerickson - 11-16-2015

Thank you for the replies about the lacquer. Would 0000 steel wool be ok for between coats? Also, do I have to worry about melting the finish by buffing? I've done that with poly before.

Sorry to hijack the thread. I just really like this piece and want to copy!