Woodnet Forums
White oak vs. Red oak? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: White oak vs. Red oak? (/showthread.php?tid=7144504)

White oak vs. Red oak? - JSpill - 11-16-2015

I have used red oak for many pieces of furniture. I'm quite familiar with it's workability and how it reacts to a variety of finishes. I'm thinking of using white oak for my next project ( a couple of mission grandfather clocks). I'd like to know what to expect from white oak as compared to red oak. You know, the usual stuff. How does it cut? plane? finish? Thanks.

Re: White oak vs. Red oak? - MichaelMouse - 11-16-2015

Probably better overall than red where working with an edge is concerned. Red can be sanded, of course, but the white I've worked hasn't needed it after the plane or scrape. Shines back at ya.

Its 200 miles south to get to white oak from here, which is why I use mostly red.

Re: White oak vs. Red oak? - JustinTyson - 11-16-2015

The workability of white oak is excellent. Very similar to red oak, really, but perhaps a bit less splintery. Finishing won't be too much different, but the pores will be a bit smoother because of the tyloses. I prefer white oak mostly for its superior quartersawn figure.

Re: White oak vs. Red oak? - jteneyck - 11-16-2015

White oak is heavier and harder than red but working it is about the same for me. The only thing I notice is that it likes to split just looking at it. I swear I've found cracks in pieces that had none when I milled them a couple of days earlier. But for anything Mission Style white oak is the classical choice. The only issue I find with finishing it is that it can blotch where the grain makes a hard change in direction, unlike red oak which is very dye and stain friendly. People often give it one or two coats of 1# cut shellac to minimize that problem, before applying dye or stain.

John

Re: White oak vs. Red oak? - Steve N - 11-16-2015

I've never treated them differently except in where they will be used. Red is indoor only, White can easily go outdoors, and with just a few things, can stay out there a long time.

Re: White oak vs. Red oak? - Robert Adams - 11-16-2015

I treat red and white oak the same. Red does have open pores but I o that adds to the chatacter. Some of the best looking 1/4 sawn oak I have seen was red oak but it's harder to get than qswo. Just as pricey though.

Re: White oak vs. Red oak? - Steve N - 11-16-2015

You need to move North. Red is 3 to 1 over White most of the time anymore, and QS is not so special. I was just looking at bundles of it a week ago Saturday at $1.00 to $1.25 bd/ft. Lots of bundles of it, they averaged 200 bd/ft. 12' S&B QS widths to 14"

Re: White oak vs. Red oak? - Robert Adams - 11-16-2015

Steve N said:

You need to move North. Red is 3 to 1 over White most of the time anymore, and QS is not so special. I was just looking at bundles of it a week ago Saturday at $1.00 to $1.25 bd/ft. Lots of bundles of it, they averaged 200 bd/ft. 12' S&B QS widths to 14"

Yeah I know. When I'm in Dayton or cleveland I'm always wanting to haul lumber home. Brother in law gets white oak for the barn and it's nicer than the crap the commercial lumber suppliers have.

I might make a trip up to Dayton then look for some lumber to take home. Will fly up then rent something to drive back (not sure what I'd rent though)

Will be a better supply of lumber when we move to near charlotte. Not sure where yet maybe spartanburg or other smaller places where loml can commute to charlotte from (relativly near an airport)

Re: White oak vs. Red oak? - EricU - 11-16-2015

my only exposure to white oak is through salvaged pallets, and it seems like really good stuff. I always like Red oak, but I guess everyone else got burned out on it back in the '70s. I'm glad people are quartersawing it nowadays, that makes a big difference

Re: White oak vs. Red oak? - Steve N - 11-17-2015

PM me if you come up to Dayton. When I am working, well, I am working, but that is just Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Lot of free time around that. Sometimes there are deals afoot

A U haul would offer the room, crappy drive home, but plenty of room.