Woodnet Forums
handwheel thread on Delta 46-460 Lathe - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: handwheel thread on Delta 46-460 Lathe (/showthread.php?tid=7149822)

handwheel thread on Delta 46-460 Lathe - Doug_H - 11-22-2015

Does anybody know what the thread pitch and spindle diameter is on the Delta 46-460 handwheel ? Any comments on outboard use, e.g., installing a honing wheel?

Doug

Re: handwheel thread on Delta 46-460 Lathe - MKepke - 11-23-2015

If this is a full size lathe, the Deltas are usually 1x8 tpi with a left hand thread (on the outboard side). But it should be easy to measure and count if you have access to the spindle...

-Mark

Re: handwheel thread on Delta 46-460 Lathe - Arlin Eastman - 11-23-2015

It is considered a Midi lathe and when I had mine I did take it apart but do not remember what it is on the thread. I know if you google it you will find out or it is in the manual.

Arlin

Re: handwheel thread on Delta 46-460 Lathe - Doug_H - 11-23-2015

All,

It's just common old 3/4"-16 LH thread. Yes, I measured and counted threads. I thought I had a piece that should fit on it but it would not, so I was confused. I suspected metric. I bought a 3/4-16 nut today and it fit. Problem solved. I wanted to be sure before I ordered any attachments.

Funny story (sad, actually). I called Delta and the Senior Tech did not know the size of the outboard spindle. By way of explanation/excuse he said "We can never get them to send blueprints." Wait a minute. So Delta did not originate a detailed design when they contracted out production of this tool? So does that mean that they just buy some design from a Chinese trade show and put their badge on it? Interesting. Learn something every day. What I learned is that I am living in the past.

Happy Thanksgiving. Much to be thankful for.

Doug

Re: handwheel thread on Delta 46-460 Lathe - Ruler2112 - 11-23-2015

Delta was bought out a few years back. (Of course, I bought this same lathe, so naturally they go out of business in short order - happens just about every time... ) I'm guessing he meant that the original Delta wouldn't send blueprints to the new Delta.