Woodnet Forums
Bandsaw 14" harbor freight - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Bandsaw 14" harbor freight (/showthread.php?tid=7154130)

Pages: 1 2

Bandsaw 14" harbor freight - comfun1 - 11-28-2015

I am interested in a bandsaw and wondering if anyone has experience with the Harbor Freight 14" model. One thing I was wondering is if it has roller bearing guides for the blade? If I lived closer to HF I would go and see for myself but I am about 100 miles from the nearest one. Thanks

Re: Bandsaw 14" harbor freight - Howard Acheson - 11-28-2015

>>>> wondering is if it has roller bearing guides for the blade?

Give them a call and ask them.

Re: Bandsaw 14" harbor freight - Scott W - 11-28-2015

Just curious, what makes you want that saw? I mean as opposed to a used saw?

Re: Bandsaw 14" harbor freight - Axl - 11-28-2015

It won't be very long before wishing you bought something else. I had a twin to one years ago. Gave it away for free.
Check around for a good used Delta, Powermatic, Jet, or Grizzly.

Where are you located. Maybe we can help you search for one.

Re: Bandsaw 14" harbor freight - Richard D. - 11-28-2015

You can see in the picture that it does NOT have roller guides but is a clone of the Delta. Having seen the fit and finish in person I would't be happy with the saw and would look for a used Delta clone if possible. Louis Ittura has an upgrade roller set for the Delta clone.

Re: Bandsaw 14" harbor freight - Wizard of Oz - 11-28-2015

I have one. It's not great, but better than no saw. I did put a link belt on it, and it runs smoother now. Had to replace the tentioner bolt, and just used threaded rod. Not fancy, but gets the job done.

Re: Bandsaw 14" harbor freight - Steve N - 11-28-2015

I won one in a card game several years ago. It came to me with a lot of add on accessories. Carter blade release, Carter small blade guide, Carter roller guide. plus I also use "cool block" guides, as do many Delta/delta clone users. I have replaced a few of the adjustment screws with some with better keys to make them easier to use. I added a riser block (HF part ordered from cust service 96 bux). All in all I have had several Delta BS's, and a few Jet over the years and they can't do anything more than I can do.

Granted mine has a lot of add ons, but none of them actually make the difference other than the very cheap cool blocks, and the better grade set screws. Unless I am do tight turns with a 1/8" or smaller blade I use the Carter small blade guide, but on the last 4 Delta, or Jets I owned I did the same. The larger blade guide I wouldn't have unless it had come with the saw.

Truth be told the blade you are using is a lot more important than the saw itself.

I also have an 18" Rikon that I now use for the bigger work, but using a 1/2" 3TPI blade I have resawed 11 1/2" stock on the HF without difficulty, just need to saw slower than I do with the Rikon

Re: Bandsaw 14" harbor freight - K. L. McReynolds - 11-28-2015

Many moons ago---like 8 years), about 100 or more members of WoodNet bought HF bandsaws when HF had a sale---as I recall the BS's were about $130.

We found Delta parts(riser block/etc.) replacement parts fit those HF saws. We also found the motors were pretty crappy.

So, you can buy a crappy copy of a Delta saw and face replacing parts at Delta prices, or, buy a used Delta/Powermatic/etc saw and add the accessories you wish to have. And have a much more reliable machine.

Re: Bandsaw 14" harbor freight - Arlin Eastman - 11-28-2015

Are you talking about this one?

http://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-4-speed-woodworking-band-saw-60564.html

I wonder what the HP is?

I got this one from Harborfreight and it was the best little one ever along with how the dust collection worked so well. I gave it away for a good cause and I really need a BS that cuts from 6" to 12" so I can use it for making bandsaw boxes.

http://www.harborfreight.com/13-hp-9-in-benchtop-band-saw-60500.html

Arlin

Re: Bandsaw 14" harbor freight - DFJarvie - 11-28-2015

What are you looking to do with it? Is it for every now and then to make a cut? If that's the case then it will probably do.

If your looking to do resawing or need to use it everyday then wait until you can afford a better saw.