Woodnet Forums
I need some help with a Router table - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: I need some help with a Router table (/showthread.php?tid=7155448)

I need some help with a Router table - Arlin Eastman - 11-30-2015

Right now I have a very small Router Table 14x16 and it is Way to small to do anything with and I keep going off the edges and when I do that bad things happen.

What do I use and how would I make it? I was thinking 26" wide and 36" long but will wait to see what you guys think.

Arlin

Re: I need some help with a Router table - daveferg - 11-30-2015

Well, down to basics, you can mount a router in just about any flat surface. Fences can be as simple as a board clamped onto the top. I would say I wouldn't go any bigger than the size you propose or even a bit smaller.

If you find the material you're using requires more space---that's a good time to switch over to hand routing. But as to long boards you're putting a profile on----you can always use roller or flip-top stands as in-feed and out feed supports.

Re: I need some help with a Router table - mikefm101 - 11-30-2015

Mine is a Norm-esque design.

Top is 24" deep by 34" long. I've used it for everything from bookcases to pencil boxes and never found the size too small.

The only time it was "too small" was routing a bead detail on fascia boards for a shed, but the boards were 12 feet long. A roller stand and my then 12 year old provided infeed and outfeed support.

Mike

Re: I need some help with a Router table - Arlin Eastman - 11-30-2015

I should say that the VA bought me the PC 3.5 hp router and the Jessum 2 router lift and I do have the Jessum protable router table that has the velco bag hooked on it.

I did not have another router until someone here I do not remember who sent me one of his 12 and it sure is a nice one too.

As in doing it by hand well some of the vets are in wheel chairs and some are just shaky like me so a table is our best bet.

I was thinking a good plywood but do not know what plywood is good for this nor strong enough and it has to be within my budget of $25 or less hopfully less.
I would also like to add a digital up and down thingy to so we can do better work and not hours of setting up since most of us do not have hours of setting up time.

Arlin

Thanks Mike

We would NEVER do anything that big I am very sure of that since my garage is just a little bigger then that.

Arlin

Re: I need some help with a Router table - JGrout - 11-30-2015

go to home Depot or Lowes and find a countertop

Works just fine and likely meets your budget

You may have to beef it up a little underneath but that is a minor issue Screws and glue will get you there

That is a great idea and I know of someone that has some he is giving away.

Arlin

Re: I need some help with a Router table - handi - 11-30-2015

Arlin,

Check out the Plans Store page of my website. I have plans for a folding router table. It features an 18 by 32" top but folds away when you are not using it. I sell the plans, but will happily send you the PDF for free if you want to build one.

Folding Router Table

Ralph

Re: I need some help with a Router table - Big Dave - 12-01-2015

Joe, nailed it, Arlin. Adding a piece of 3/4" mdf under a chunk of countertop will provide plenty of strength for that big PC router.

My table is 24" x 32" and I've had no need for anything bigger...

As for set-up time, I'll have something for you in a couple weeks...

Dave

Re: I need some help with a Router table - Axl - 12-01-2015

Here is mine. 2, 3/4" sheets of MDF glued with Titebond III. 24"x36"
I used locating brad nails between the sheets to hold in place while drying. Snip the heads off.

http://s938.photobucket.com/user/MykRian/library/Router%20table?sort=3&page=1