Woodnet Forums
PEX valves in sizes other than 1/2" - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: PEX valves in sizes other than 1/2" (/showthread.php?tid=7155520)

PEX valves in sizes other than 1/2" - Mandrake - 11-30-2015

Running some 3/4" PEX for a new installation. All of the shut off valves (that you stub out to and connect to your sink / toilet) that I am finding are all 1/2".

Seeing as how common the 3/4" tube size is, are there no 3/4" barb valves? I find it silly to have to swedge down to 1/2" tube for the last foot. Wondering what other PEX users have done.

Re: PEX valves in sizes other than 1/2" - Splinter Puller - 11-30-2015

they seem common

http://www.pexuniverse.com/pex-valves?gclid=CLKah-L8uMkCFQ8zaQodXA8LGg

Re: PEX valves in sizes other than 1/2" - theeviltwinn - 11-30-2015

I think he is looking for a 3/4" stop valve. I have never seen them.

I have always used a 3/4 Pex to 1/2 FIP elbow like this

Use a chrome nipple through the wall and a stop valve. It never occurred to me to look for a 3/4 stop valve.

Twinn

Re: PEX valves in sizes other than 1/2" - Robert Adams - 11-30-2015

Same here never though of doing everything in 3/4 and needing 3/4 stop valves. A little overkill for residential. I see most guys plumbing the hot side with 3/8 now for faucets. Gets the hot water there quicker by wasting less water.

Re: PEX valves in sizes other than 1/2" - blackhat - 12-01-2015

Very few fixtures have flow rates higher than a 1/2" branch line or home run can deliver. Why run 3/4?

Re: PEX valves in sizes other than 1/2" - Mr_Mike - 12-01-2015

I'd run 1" to a soaker tub if I could, but otherwise, I see no need for 3/4 unless not doing home runs.

I doubt I could get a faucet to flow enough for 1" or even 3/4".

You can get a 3/4" copper stub and then reduce to 1/2" in copper prior to the valve. It might be the path of least resistance.

Re: PEX valves in sizes other than 1/2" - Mandrake - 12-01-2015

It sounds like the 3/4 pex - 1/2 FIP drop ear is the way to go.

I'm plumbing the new shop and it sits far off from the water main. 1/2" line would probably work, but I won't be connecting water for a year or two. I'm trying to get in everything I need to cover the walls now. By the time I'd find a flow problem, it would be way too late to change anything. Spending and additional $60 now is a cheap insurance compared to dealing with problems later.