Woodnet Forums
Protected trailer lights - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Protected trailer lights (/showthread.php?tid=7172712)

Protected trailer lights - Pirate - 12-20-2015

After converting a small boat trailer into a utility trailer, I have had problems with tail lights breaking. Especially when I take the stake sides off and use as a flat bed.
I found these, LED lights, that are made in USA, and have a lifetime warranty. $23.00 delivered.

I welded a couple of pieces of bed frame, angle iron, to form a "C" channel, to mount the lights in, and welded to the trailer frame. The channel should protect the lights. " />

Re: Protected trailer lights - TDKPE - 12-20-2015

That type of strip light is also becoming popular on van (cargo) type trailers, but mounted vertically, next to the door(s).

Re: Protected trailer lights - daddo - 12-21-2015

Give me a few days using that trailer- I could figure a way to break them.

Re: Protected trailer lights - Foggy - 12-21-2015

daddo said:

Give me a few days using that trailer- I could figure a way to break them.

Shouldn't take that long. Just back into a solid post. Bed iron will only protect from a light bump.
Nice looking installation.

Re: Protected trailer lights - Anak - 12-21-2015

I have not fully busted up any taillights, but I have cracked a few. They really do need to be protected.

These are a pretty easy off the shelf solution.

Note that they are not fully welded though. They are only tacked together, and loosely at that. They rattle when you receive them.

I welded them up and ran conduit to them too. One less bit of exposed wiring for the dog to chew.

Varmint wiring things up with a junction block inside (I take full advantage of those smaller hands whenever possible):

Re: Protected trailer lights - Pirate - 01-05-2016

The lights passed their 1st. test yesterday. While in a fast food drive thru line, some butt, in a pickup smashed into the trailer. The person, gets out of his truck, cursing about the trailer being too low to be seen!
No damage to trailer or lights.