Woodnet Forums
Seeking nonexistent router bit - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Seeking nonexistent router bit (/showthread.php?tid=7173958)

Seeking nonexistent router bit - Aram - 12-22-2015

I'd like to have a bit that cuts rabbets with a very, very small radius instead of a sharp corner. Picture an upcut spiral bit with a very small radius, maybe 1/32, on the edges of the flutes.

Aside from grind-yer-own, is there such a thing?

Re: Seeking nonexistent router bit - JGrout - 12-22-2015

a 1/32" roundover at the top with a straight rabbet profile?

get your sanding block out, you have the rabbet bit already

There are two issues that you would have to overcome: first is the small radius you propose, the second is how long is the straight portion of the rabbet gong to be. It would not work real well to have a radius say 1/2" above the straight portion of the bit and only need a 3/8" deep rabbet.

Additionally, even if it was made it would have a larger profile radius than 1/32" more like 1/16" or more. Not many grind a cutter with less than that and those are hard to come by

Re: Seeking nonexistent router bit - jteneyck - 12-22-2015

It sounds like you are describing a rounded edge end mill.

John

Re: Seeking nonexistent router bit - Arlin Eastman - 12-22-2015

I think I seen what you are talking about here.

http://www.infinitytools.com/1_2-Shank-Table-Top-Bit-2-1_2-CD-3_4-CH/productinfo/56-601/

Arlin

Re: Seeking nonexistent router bit - Aram - 12-22-2015

JGrout said:

a 1/32" roundover at the top with a straight rabbet profile?

get your sanding block out, you have the rabbet bit already

There are two issues that you would have to overcome: first is the small radius you propose, the second is how long is the straight portion of the rabbet gong to be. It would not work real well to have a radius say 1/2" above the straight portion of the bit and only need a 3/8" deep rabbet.

Additionally, even if it was made it would have a larger profile radius than 1/32" more like 1/16" or more. Not many grind a cutter with less than that and those are hard to come by

Fair enough. 1/32 is a made up value, just meaning a small radius to soften the transition. I'm not sure I see why the length of straight cutter used would matter, aside from the radius taking an appreciable fraction of the rabbet depth...?

jteneyck said:

It sounds like you are describing a rounded edge end mill.

John

w00t!

That could do it. And I love McMaster's 5-minute delivery service. Complete the order, walk downstairs, receive package at door. Or so it seems.

Re: Seeking nonexistent router bit - JGrout - 12-22-2015

I considered the question and concluded you wanted an all in one pass cutter

the reason for that conclusion was that I used to mill exterior door frame rabbets in a similar fashion but used a stack of knives( one straight and one radius on top) on the shaper to accomplish both cuts at once

there is a limiting factor when doing the same with a router bit unless the shank can utilize different thickness straight cutters..

JGrout said:

I considered the question and concluded you wanted an all in one pass cutter

the reason for that conclusion was that I used to mill exterior door frame rabbets in a similar fashion but used a stack of knives( one straight and one radius on top) on the shaper to accomplish both cuts at once

there is a limiting factor when doing the same with a router bit unless the shank can utilize different thickness straight cutters..

Ah. Got it. I'm ok taking multiple passes. And the rabbets will not be large.

Re: Seeking nonexistent router bit - jteneyck - 12-22-2015

I ordered some stuff from McM. Carr yesterday AM and it was at my door before 10 AM today. I also bought a new sprayer from Jeff Jewitt yesterday and it came at the same time. Amazing service considering how busy the delivery companies are right now.

John

Re: Seeking nonexistent router bit - Hokiemill - 12-22-2015

How about a bowl bit?