Woodnet Forums
I need to find where some brass or copper rivets are - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: I need to find where some brass or copper rivets are (/showthread.php?tid=7177530)

I need to find where some brass or copper rivets are - Arlin Eastman - 12-27-2015

to put handles on a few knives I have.

So what kind of rivets do you use and where do you buy them?

Also a link Please.

Arlin

Re: I need to find where some brass or copper rivets are - Shop Dad - 12-27-2015

Hey Arlin,
You can just get some brass rod stock, drill through, add a section of brass rod then peen the ends. I don't believe you need special rivits.

Doug

Re: I need to find where some brass or copper rivets are - Patsfan - 12-27-2015

ask in hand tools too.

Re: I need to find where some brass or copper rivets are - Steve K - 12-27-2015

Arlin Eastman said:

to put handles on a few knives I have.

So what kind of rivets do you use and where do you buy them?

Also a link Please.

Arlin

I have used These before. They are called corby bolts. Basically like a cap screw except there is enough material to file away the slot after tightening to make them look like rivets.

Re: I need to find where some brass or copper rivets are - Arlin Eastman - 12-27-2015

Shop Dad said:

Hey Arlin,
You can just get some brass rod stock, drill through, add a section of brass rod then peen the ends. I don't believe you need special rivits.

Doug

Doug

I did that a lot in the military if it was not for Aircraft repair, but I do not know if this would damage or split the wood.

Arlin

Re: I need to find where some brass or copper rivets are - Arlin Eastman - 12-27-2015

Steve

That is a good idea and kind of like the fasteners we used in the military on Air Craft called Stumpbolts and a few other fasteners.

Arlin

Re: I need to find where some brass or copper rivets are - hairy - 12-27-2015

I've used these to make Fibonacci calipers. One piece fits into the other, they go in, but don't come out. You would want to countersink them into a knife handle.

Lee Valley brass rivets

Thank you Hairy. I was just given that link when I posted it in hand tools like was suggested.

I think they are just perfect for the job and any other future knives too.

Arlin

Re: I need to find where some brass or copper rivets are - Rodneywt1180b - 12-30-2015

Arlin I just did a quick search for knife handle rivets. There's a ton of suppliers out there.
Here's one link of many:
http://www.knifemaking.com/category-s/75.htm
It looks like they have a wide variety of styles and should have something that will work for you.
Rodney

Re: I need to find where some brass or copper rivets are - Arlin Eastman - 12-30-2015

Thank you.

I posted this in hand tools also and they had this link there.

Arlin