Woodnet Forums
Live edge mirror frame - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Live edge mirror frame (/showthread.php?tid=7183046)

Pages: 1 2

Re: Live edge mirror frame - ronkan - 01-04-2016

I like using the natural forms of wood pieces so that includes your thoughtful use of the the natural edges to frame the mirror. Your frame works very well
Doesn't seem to me to be more suitable for one room or another. It could fit in anywhere.
The use of cherry is for the stiles is a little distracting. The "flow" of the wood around the mirror would flow more smoothly without the "interruption" of another color wood.
Just my $.02.

Re: Live edge mirror frame - Bill Holt - 01-04-2016

Looks great! You have a creative eye. Hope I can see something so creative in my wood pile.

Re: Live edge mirror frame - iublue - 01-04-2016

ronkan said:

I like using the natural forms of wood pieces so that includes your thoughtful use of the the natural edges to frame the mirror. Your frame works very well
Doesn't seem to me to be more suitable for one room or another. It could fit in anywhere.
The use of cherry is for the stiles is a little distracting. The "flow" of the wood around the mirror would flow more smoothly without the "interruption" of another color wood.
Just my $.02.

Maybe I should let Jeff comment but it looks to me like all the wood is cherry.

Re: Live edge mirror frame - BrokenOlMarine - 01-07-2016

Very nice

Re: Live edge mirror frame - 2beast - 01-08-2016

very cool

Re: Live edge mirror frame - tablesawtom - 01-09-2016

Great use of some wood that could have ended up in a burn pile, very nice

Tom

Re: Live edge mirror frame - akertesz - 01-10-2016

How did you attach the mirror to the back?

Re: Live edge mirror frame - Grayman - 01-10-2016

Thanks for the nice comments.

As to the contrast in wood tones from the stiles to the rails, I understand your perspective but the cherry was the closest thing I had to the tones in the slab, and I was concerned that more live edge on the stiles would disrupt the feel of the frame. I was told the live edge was from a maple tree, but couldn't tell you for sure what it is.

I put a rabbet on the inside edges of the stiles and made cleats with rabbets for the top and bottom that fastens to the rails. The whole thing is hung on the wall with a french cleat.

Thanks,

Jeff

Re: Live edge mirror frame - robmaz - 01-10-2016

looks really cool!