Woodnet Forums
Lube for jointer ways? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Lube for jointer ways? (/showthread.php?tid=7186031)

Lube for jointer ways? - Wild Turkey - 01-06-2016

I'm putting a Rockwell Delta 8" jointer back in service. (It had rust and 4 coats of paint that I've had to remove )

I'm almost ready to reassemble it but need to know the best way to lube the ways of the beds.

Is Johnson's floor wax a good idea? What about mixing in some graphite powder with the wax?

I don't want to have to pull it apart again anytime soon so I'm looking for the best way to keep them moving and rust free.

Re: Lube for jointer ways? - JGrout - 01-06-2016

I would just use Johnsons paste wax rub it in buff it off

all you really need is a bit of moisture protection there it is not like they get moved tons

JME

Joe

Re: Lube for jointer ways? - Cooler - 01-06-2016

We use "way lube" in our machines in our factory (metal working machines). I would think that it would be the same for woodworking.

See: http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/Lubri...;rdrct=way+lube

Re: Lube for jointer ways? - Shop Dad - 01-06-2016

Some folks like paraffin wax. I have used DriSlide, a dry moly/graphite combo, with success.

Doug

Re: Lube for jointer ways? - Mr_Mike - 01-06-2016

I use whatever grease I have handy. Probably wheel bearing grease right now. The purple stuff. Its not very critical.

Re: Lube for jointer ways? - Arlin Eastman - 01-06-2016

On all the stuff we had in the Machine shop and Sheet metal show we used White Lithium grease. Great stuff and keeps out corrosion. I use it now for my Band Saw, Table Saw, Planner and Jointer.

Arlin

Re: Lube for jointer ways? - Steve N - 01-06-2016

Grease is frequently used for metal working machines, but the wax would dry harder, and not be a dust magnet. So for a woodworking tool I'd either use paste wax, and buff it out, or paraffin. As Joe said, it's not like you move them a lot, but if they are all gummed up with fine wood dust they can be harder to move at all. I have acquired more than one old jointer that was sold as junk because they "couldn't adjust them"

Re: Lube for jointer ways? - Cooler - 01-07-2016

Cooler said:

We use "way lube" in our machines in our factory (metal working machines). I would think that it would be the same for woodworking.

See: http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/Lubri...;rdrct=way+lube

If all these other lubes worked perfectly for ways why would the bother to produce an oil specific for that purpose?

Re: Lube for jointer ways? - barryvabeach - 01-07-2016

Way lube for metal working machines has a different purpose, since it is exposed to metal swarf, and there is much more motion on a metal working machine ways then on the adjusters on a jointer or its other moving parts. I have read that way oil is designed to float the swarf and allow it to be cleaned off the ways by the wipers that are commonly fitted to metal working machines, and is somewhat similar to bar chain oil.

Re: Lube for jointer ways? - Kudzu - 01-07-2016

Steve N said:

Grease is frequently used for metal working machines, but the wax would dry harder, and not be a dust magnet.

This!