Woodnet Forums
Sharkbites and grounding? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Sharkbites and grounding? (/showthread.php?tid=7188703)

Sharkbites and grounding? - Snipe Hunter - 01-09-2016

Does a sharkbite union create a dielectric break or a reliable conductor?

If a ground-wire jumper is required between inlet and outlet of water heaters, and around any meters or devices containing plastic then why wouldn't a jumper be necessary at a sharkbite connector if the copper line is being used as a ground?

Re: Sharkbites and grounding? - R Clark - 01-09-2016

Snipe Hunter said:

Does a sharkbite union create a dielectric break or a reliable conductor?

If a ground-wire jumper is required between inlet and outlet of water heaters, and around any meters or devices containing plastic then why wouldn't a jumper be necessary at a sharkbite connector if the copper line is being used as a ground?

Have used them, though not for the purpose you describe.

I don't see how they could possibly conduct...the fittings I used appeared to be all PVC (or some other plastic) will rubber or silicone seals on the ends. Run a continuity check with a multi-tester. Should tell you everything you need to know.

Re: Sharkbites and grounding? - Snipe Hunter - 01-09-2016

I would do that if I didn't have water in the pipes. I don't have any extra sharkbites floating around.

Re: Sharkbites and grounding? - EricU - 01-09-2016

try it anyway, water isn't that great of a conductor

Re: Sharkbites and grounding? - Robert Adams - 01-09-2016

EricU said:

True in fact water doesn't conduct electricity at all. The dirt and minerals in it conduct the electricity.

Re: Sharkbites and grounding? - JosephP - 01-09-2016

I thought water lines were no longer supposed to be used for ground? (but not claiming to know that...so excuse me if that is incorrect)

Re: Sharkbites and grounding? - EricU - 01-09-2016

using them as a ground certainly is a bad idea. People have been using plastic for repairs for many decades now

Robert Adams said:

[blockquote]EricU said:

True in fact water doesn't conduct electricity at all. The dirt and minerals in it conduct the electricity.

[/blockquote]

when I say "water" I mean the amalgam of chemicals that comes out of my tap, not the pure stuff. I am too lazy to make sure my math is correct, but it looks like even salt water is a million times less conductive than copper, and salt water is 1000 times more conductive than tap water

Re: Sharkbites and grounding? - daddo - 01-09-2016

I can appreciate you mentioning this. The pipes should be grounded.
Nothing like grabbing a pipe and feeling that tingling shock, then reading 120v from pipe to ground.
There is always the possibility of a wire shorting to the pipe or the pipe connected to an appliance that shorts out.

I have a habit of back handing unknown pipes before I grab them.

Re: Sharkbites and grounding? - Bob10 - 01-09-2016

They would break any type ground as the internals and sleeve are plastic of some type

Re: Sharkbites and grounding? - Mr_Mike - 01-09-2016

They are brass bodied with metal spring fingers that grip the pipe and can provide continuity. However the manufacturer does not guarantee it and I would not rely on it.