Woodnet Forums
Clark and Williams gloat (and help requested) - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Clark and Williams gloat (and help requested) (/showthread.php?tid=7189846)

Clark and Williams gloat (and help requested) - Steve Evans - 01-10-2016

I was lucky enough to pick up 6 Clark & Williams planes today. Jointer, Panel, Trying, Moving Fillister, Jack and smoother. Total price was $1000 Cdn (or about $700 US).
Now insurance is going to want to put a value on these for my shop policy, and the last price list that I can find is from 2007. Not many completed auctions on ebay either to help out. Any suggestions on how to go about putting a value on these.

Steve

Re: Clark and Williams gloat (and help requested) - Phil S. - 01-10-2016

Maybe send a note to Larry Williams and ask him. Straight from the horse's mouth as they say.

Re: Clark and Williams gloat (and help requested) - ncosman - 01-11-2016

WOW!
You suck big time!
You are in for a real treat, they are a joy to use!

Re: Clark and Williams gloat (and help requested) - Steve Evans - 01-11-2016

Phil S. said:

Maybe send a note to Larry Williams and ask him. Straight from the horse's mouth as they say.

Thanks and done

Re: Clark and Williams gloat (and help requested) - Steve Evans - 01-11-2016

And just to prove that it happened

Re: Clark and Williams gloat (and help requested) - TroutVictor - 01-11-2016

Very nice.

In accordance with the forum protocol, YOU SUCK!

Re: Clark and Williams gloat (and help requested) - Wilbur Pan - 01-11-2016

You really do suck.

As far as prices, if you don’t get some from Larry (and I expect you will be able to get good information from him), you can take a look at other wooden plane makers to give you some guidance. Philly Planes in the UK sells a wooden jack plane for £250.00, which is about $360 at today’s exchange rates. The Philly Planes coffin plane is about $315 in USD.

Scott Meek also makes wooden planes, although with a very contemporary style. His planes are priced in the $500-600 range for the most part.

Re: Clark and Williams gloat (and help requested) - Bill_Houghton - 01-11-2016

Things are worth what people are willing to pay for them. You might want to look on places like eBay and see if you can find comparable planes sold. Keep the record; if you ever have an insurance claim, the insurance company will try to tell you they're worth $2 each.

Re: Clark and Williams gloat (and help requested) - ZachDillinger - 01-11-2016

An insurance appraisal will require you to establish the replacement cost of the item, not the value (two different economic concepts when it comes to appraising). Cost for things like this will come from the maker, so the advice to talk to Mr. Williams is sound. Past sales, comps, etc. are not terribly relevant here as it is an item that is still (theoretically) commercially available. Now, if / when Messrs. Williams and McConnell officially hang it up and their planes are never available new again, we will have to start considering collectible value / comps to establish the fair value for such things. If you have to err, err high. It will add pennies to your insurance premium.

Another thing to consider, again depending on how the shop is insured, your planes will likely fall under Coverage C of your homeowners policy and will probably be covered up to 50% of the value of your home. You will probably have to keep track of the value but you may not have to schedule these planes. Check with your insurance agent to be sure.

Re: Clark and Williams gloat (and help requested) - Arlin Eastman - 01-11-2016

If you send them to me I will appraise them for free and will send them back in well as soon as I want.

I do not know what I am looking at. Are they new planes or New Old Planes?

Arlin