Woodnet Forums
Dust collection with shop vacuum - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Dust collection with shop vacuum (/showthread.php?tid=7192745)

Dust collection with shop vacuum - Birdseye Bill - 01-13-2016

I am designing my basement shop and I have a closet under the stairs that I want to keep my shop vac, dust collector, and air compressor. This will minimize some of the noise in the shop.

Here is my question. Can I effectively use a Ridgid shop vac with a 15' hose going into my dust deputy separator and then into the dust collector? I see they sell 20'-25' hoses but it seems that it will lose effectiveness the further away it gets from the vac.

I would not mind hearing from someone that uses a closet for their dust collection.

Re: Dust collection with shop vacuum - Big Dave - 01-13-2016

A friend of mine did something similar and doesn't seem to have any issues with distance from the vac. You can take a look here...

Dave

Re: Dust collection with shop vacuum - Birdseye Bill - 01-13-2016

Thanks, Dave. Interesting website your friend has.

Re: Dust collection with shop vacuum - BacsiBob - 01-13-2016

I use a shop vac for my dust collecting blade guard on the TS. It is outside the shop in an unfinished area of the barn. I used 2" PVC conduit and fittings to connect to a 55 gal. plastic drum. The pipe passes thru the shop wall with a total length of ~15' The shop vac connects to the drum. I have 2.5" retractable hose on the saw end.

The hose also allows me to connect to my router table or sander and I use it for cleaning the shop, too. I use a remote controlled outlet for the vac.

Re: Dust collection with shop vacuum - Big Dave - 01-14-2016

Birdseye Bill said:

Thanks, Dave. Interesting website your friend has.

Yeah.... Joe's an interesting guy...

He's got several videos on YouTube under the Twisted Knot Workshop moniker. A couple actually show me doing all the work building his shop.