Woodnet Forums
Made myself a collet handle - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Made myself a collet handle (/showthread.php?tid=7201157)

Made myself a collet handle - Steve K - 01-23-2016

I was going to buy a couple but after seeing what they cost I decided to try and make my own. Found what I needed at our local Ace hardware. About 10 dollars for off the shelf plumbing fittings.

I've finished turned a couple of bowls and the collet holds tightly and I haven't noticed any slippage at all. Time will tell how they hold up but I'm thrilled so far. If anyone is interested I also uploaded a video of the making.

collet handle

Let me know what you think.

Re: Made myself a collet handle - Arlin Eastman - 01-23-2016

Steve you did a great job and I think it is great to have one handle and several tools.

Do you have the Numbers from the parts from ACE? I would like to get them also. Are they 3/8",1/2", 5/8", or 3/4".

Arlin

Re: Made myself a collet handle - Steve K - 01-23-2016

Arlin Eastman said:

Steve you did a great job and I think it is great to have one handle and several tools.

Do you have the Numbers from the parts from ACE? I would like to get them also. Are they 3/8",1/2", 5/8", or 3/4".

Arlin

Arlin
The fittings are standard off the shelf brass for plumbing. I do not have the barcode numbers but one of them is tagged (1/2" comp X 3/8" FIP).
The other is labeled 3/8 X 1 1/2" pipe nipple. I don't really understand why they work because my gouge is 1/2" diameter.
Also, the gouge used in the video is a Thompson. The fittings work with that gouge, I don't know that they'll work with a different brand. Best to take what a person has to the hardware to fit and make sure.

Re: Made myself a collet handle - Woodshop - 01-24-2016

They work together because a 3/8 pipe is 1/2" Out side Diameter (O/D)

Nice job

Re: Made myself a collet handle - Steve K - 01-24-2016

Woodshop said:

They work together because a 3/8 pipe is 1/2" Out side Diameter (O/D)

Nice job

Thanks. I think you misunderstood what I said. The nipple is tagged 3/8" i.d. X 1-1/2" long. The shaft on my gouge is 1/2", so how does it fit inside a 3/8" i.d. pipe?
I think I have figured it out though. The key lies with the compression fitting I used. It is tagged 1/2" comp X 3/8" FIP.
After doing a little research I find that "FIP" is plumber talk for "female iron pipe". What I think is this; the nipple I bought is brass and the walls are thinner on brass than they are on iron pipe. So, to fit that thread the i.d. is actually more like 1/2" when it's brass in lieu of iron. Hope that makes sense.

Re: Made myself a collet handle - jerickson - 01-24-2016

Very nice!

Re: Made myself a collet handle - kludge - 01-26-2016

That was a clever idea Steve!