Woodnet Forums
J.C. Penny is getting back in the appliance business - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: J.C. Penny is getting back in the appliance business (/showthread.php?tid=7210022)

J.C. Penny is getting back in the appliance business - Cooler - 02-03-2016

I just read about this.

http://www.chainstoreage.com/article/ana...%2D02%2D03%2D16

Re: J.C. Penny is getting back in the appliance business - daddo - 02-03-2016

I guess after closing maybe 100 stores, it is taking the condensed route to survival then diversifying it's market.

The best car battery I ever had came from them. It was expensive but I used it for at least 8 years- it ended up on the lawn tractor for a couple years.

Re: J.C. Penny is getting back in the appliance business - fredhargis - 02-03-2016

It's my understanding that appliances are mostly sold on razor thin margins, can't imagine that will help them out.

fredhargis said:

It's my understanding that appliances are mostly sold on razor thin margins, can't imagine that will help them out.

Probably just get more people "into" the store- more traffic, more sells.
And the appliances will be toward the rear or side to make the folks walk past high sell items.

Re: J.C. Penny is getting back in the appliance business - Bill Wilson - 02-03-2016

I'm thinking that if I'm not prone to shopping at Penny's in the first place, having appliances there isn't going to do much to entice me.

Re: J.C. Penny is getting back in the appliance business - Cooler - 02-03-2016

Apparently they brought in new marketing executives with Home Depot past experience. That might be driving this.

It's nice to have another vendor to get pricing from.

When I moved up here from Long Island all we had was Sears and Montgomery Ward. It didn't matter if you wanted to buy a suit or a drill press. That was all that was here.

Now we have Macy's, J.C. Penny, Sears, Kohls, Starbucks, Starbucks, Starbucks, H & M. Circuit City is gone, but Best Buy is here.

In any case I welcome another vendor to bring down the price.

When I bought my DeWalt Miter Saw (before Amazon.com) it was $399.00 everywhere. Then Home Depot came to town, Sears carried the saw and Lowes came to town. In a four month period of time it went from $399.00 to $299.00 (at which time I bought it). Later on it dropped another $20.00. Competition is a good thing.

Re: J.C. Penny is getting back in the appliance business - meackerman - 02-03-2016

somewhere I read that some stores, (maybe lowes?) the appliances are actually sold through a 3rd party. but the retail store fronts the floor space and the employee's, but it doesn't own the stock.

Re: J.C. Penny is getting back in the appliance business - Cooler - 02-03-2016

meackerman said:

somewhere I read that some stores, (maybe lowes?) the appliances are actually sold through a 3rd party. but the retail store fronts the floor space and the employee's, but it doesn't own the stock.

I shopped appliances recently and read through Consumers Reports. I would think that they would have mentioned that if it were so. It could be. But I saw no mention of it.

But as long as the store does not shirk it duty on repairs, warranties, or returns I don't see an issue with this.

Re: J.C. Penny is getting back in the appliance business - Snipe Hunter - 02-03-2016

meackerman said:

I worked for Lowes several years ago. Appliances are indeed owned by the manufacturer but sold by the retailer. The manufacturers pay for the space, delivery and commissions for the salespeople.

I wouldn't know where to find a Penny's if I had to.

Snipe Hunter said:

[blockquote]meackerman said:

I worked for Lowes several years ago. Appliances are indeed owned by the manufacturer but sold by the retailer. The manufacturers pay for the space, delivery and commissions for the salespeople.

I wouldn't know where to find a Penny's if I had to.

[/blockquote]

Here ya go.

Got 18 of them.