Woodnet Forums
PSA: When one wants to remove an adapter from a chuck... - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: PSA: When one wants to remove an adapter from a chuck... (/showthread.php?tid=7211968)

PSA: When one wants to remove an adapter from a chuck... - sniper - 02-05-2016

... that you've had in place for ~7 years and you think it's just stuck, it may not be. There is a SET SCREW on the chuck that you should loosen BEFORE going to the trouble of putting the chuck in a vise and using a very large wrench to remove the adapter.

On the bright side, CPO Supply has new Nova adapters in stock and I got a replacement plus one for my new lathe in 1 day.

Re: PSA: When one wants to remove an adapter from a chuck... - jppierson - 02-05-2016

I too learned this lesson the hard way, although I wasn't removing an adapter, just the chuck that came with the lathe. I didn't mung up my lathe too bad. Even the instructions didn't say anything about the chuck having more than one set screw.....shoulda' known better, and an embarrassment in front of my Airframe and Powerplant mechanic son.

Re: PSA: When one wants to remove an adapter from a chuck... - Arlin Eastman - 02-05-2016

You sound just like me on a bad day.
When I take a break and sit there then the light comes on. <

Arlin

Re: PSA: When one wants to remove an adapter from a chuck... - AHill - 02-05-2016

I've tried to remove the chuck from the spindle on more than one occasion and discovered I forgot to loosen the set screw that keeps it tight on the spindle. Dopey me.

Re: PSA: When one wants to remove an adapter from a chuck... - fredhargis - 02-05-2016

Welcome to my world.......

Re: PSA: When one wants to remove an adapter from a chuck... - jppierson - 02-05-2016

fredhargis said:

Welcome to my world.......

Wow, I didn't realize I had such good company.
When I used to do computer support, people like me with problems like all of those we admitted to above were know as I-D-10-T errors.

Perhaps our best excuse is that we were in too big a hurry to have a good time.