Woodnet Forums
Rip Fence question - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Rip Fence question (/showthread.php?tid=7215962)

Rip Fence question - Major Tom - 02-09-2016

I bought a new Kobalt KT 1015 table saw. For me it's just fine for my type of work. The one flaw is the rip fence. It does not align with blade and I have to measure from miter slots to get alignment. Having to do this many times over is frustrating.
Can anyone recommend a replacement fence that doesn't cost a week's wages and has simple, fast installation?
The original fence has no adjustment to it that I can see nor does the manual show any.
Thank you gentlemen

Re: Rip Fence question - Boatman53 - 02-09-2016

I have the "Cabinetmakers Mule" didn't break the bank, was easy to set up, tee square style so only clamps to the front rail. I haven't adjusted it since setup about five years ago. I'd buy another.
Jim

Re: Rip Fence question - kurt18947 - 02-09-2016

I have a Mule cabinet maker fence as well. The downside with the Mule fence is that to remove it I have to slide if off the end of the rail, It can't just be lifted off. Here's would be a contender if I were in the market:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-Power-E...T30T3/205803795 $183.33

Re: Rip Fence question - stav - 02-09-2016

I had the Mule on one of my saws. It was a nice fence but I prefer my Unifence.

I'd seriously look at the Delta T3 if I was in the market now.

Re: Rip Fence question - Morty847 - 02-09-2016

I replaced the fence on my TS with the Delta T-3. Works great, stays straight and locks down solidly. Won't break the bank either.

Re: Rip Fence question - gMike - 02-09-2016

I put a Vega Pro on my old Craftsman contractor saw and it turned it into a new machine. It's a great fence, easy to adjust and has a micro adjustment feature. I'd buy it again.

Re: Rip Fence question - Wild Turkey - 02-09-2016

^^^ ^^^

I had one and loved it. Plus their customer service is great!

Re: Rip Fence question - Dennis Puskar - 02-09-2016

I replaced my fence with the Delta 36-T30 T3 fence, great fence easy to align.

Re: Rip Fence question - knotscott - 02-10-2016

All the aftermarket fences I'm aware of are really intended for full size saw. The Kobalt a small portable saw. In addition to an aftermarket fence being very large for the Kobalt, it'd likely require some modifications to make it work. You can place your Kobalt into a workstation and add an aftermarket fence to the workstation. Rousseau makes a workstation/stand with a fence included.

IMO the saw's not really worth the cost and effort. It'd make more sense to me to sell the Kobalt and pick up a decent used full size saw. It'll have more potential going forward for about the same cost as modifying the Kobalt.

Re: Rip Fence question - MikeinKCMO - 02-11-2016

Not knowing your budget, you may well want to investigate a table as Knotscott suggests, or, alternatively build your own.

I was in a similar predicament many years ago, and not wanting to spend any more than necessary, I dicided to build my saw table. I used the cheapest 2 X 4 studs, lap joint joinery, and flooring underlayment plywood. I also studied a fence at a local tool store, then built the most important part, a copy of a bessy T square fence. Mechanically they are very simple and extremely easy to build. The saw has been a real trooper and has served well.

Take a look at the linked pics they may be of some help.