Woodnet Forums
Bought some Ebony on line - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Bought some Ebony on line (/showthread.php?tid=7218505)

Bought some Ebony on line - Shovel Man - 02-12-2016

Bought 3 pieces of Gabon Ebony 1 1/2 square x 18" long from Bell Forest. It's a company in way northern Michigan. It came in today. This is really good stock. Just a little brown along one corner, the rest is all jet black. A couple of other suppliers offer slightly lower prices but this was definitely worth the cost.

Re: Bought some Ebony on line - 2beast - 02-12-2016

Good to hear.

thanks for the info

Re: Bought some Ebony on line - Axehandle - 02-12-2016

That place comes highly recommended by The Wood Whisperer.

Re: Bought some Ebony on line - packerguy® - 02-12-2016

Ive bought from Bell a few times.....good outfit to deal with.

Re: Bought some Ebony on line - Steve N - 02-12-2016

Prices on smalls look pretty good too. Now some of the larger pieces go way up real quick though.

Re: Bought some Ebony on line - Guest - 02-13-2016

You might want to check the moisture content of your ebony. I bought some 8/4 ebony from Gilmer Wood Products a year or so ago. They represented it as having been air dried for 15 years. I checked it when it arrived and it had 18% MC. Not saying Gilmer misrepresented it, but it was sure wetter than I expected. Glad I checked!

Hank

Re: Bought some Ebony on line - Arlin Eastman - 02-13-2016

I am on their news letter which they send out every month or when they get something new. I get it in hopes I can buy some of it some day.

Arlin

Re: Bought some Ebony on line - Halfathumb - 02-14-2016

I would love to make the journey up there but the money spent on travel could buy a lot more wood. Thanks for posting their info.

Re: Bought some Ebony on line - Ken Vick - 02-15-2016

I used to travel to the SF bay area on business. I would run over to Oakland/Berkely area to the MacBeath store and hand pick what ebony I needed. They always had a good supply from boards to small pieces and you got to pick what you needed. Reasonable (for ebony) prices, too. I think they mail order also, but then you don't get to pick. Ken