Woodnet Forums
tub removal - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: tub removal (/showthread.php?tid=7225824)

Pages: 1 2

tub removal - DarrellC - 02-21-2016

I have a 60" garden tub in the master bath. I would like to remove it and put in a "free standing" tub. (not sure what it is really called) how would I go about removing the old one. Not worried about piping as it is all accessible from unfinished basement. Could I just cut it into pieces and remove the pieces? what would I cut it with?

Re: tub removal - Robert Adams - 02-21-2016

Cast iron ones I bash up with a sledge. Plastic just cut it up with a sawsall and put it on the curb trash day.

Re: tub removal - EatenByLimestone - 02-21-2016

Robert Adams said:

Cast iron ones I bash up with a sledge. Plastic just cut it up with a sawsall and put it on the curb trash day.

Yup! Remember safety glasses!

Re: tub removal - Trusty Rusty - 02-21-2016

Yep
This is the one place the DIY shows get it right. Cut it, smash it, bash it !
Just get it out.
Rusty

Re: tub removal - Snipe Hunter - 02-21-2016

I took our hall bath tub out today. Original fiberglass shower/tub unit installed in 1990. I bought the harbor freight variable reciprocating saw for this purpose. We're renovating so I'm cutting out studs too. I also picked up a pack of blades for $8.99. I wouldn't trust the blades for cutting through nails but they did fine with the fiberglass. I used the black blades on the tub. The saw is even better if you can scrounge up a 20% coupon.

I've taken out tubs with a sledge hammer... not a pleasant day.

Re: tub removal - Robert Adams - 02-21-2016

Good point t about the blades. In fact use the cheap blades because the fiberglass is going to ruin any blade as soon as it hits the glass fiber.

Re: tub removal - Bob10 - 02-21-2016

If cast don't forgot ear protection

Re: tub removal - Mr_Mike - 02-21-2016

Bob10 said:

If cast don't forgot ear protection

And a couple of old towels or blankets to cover and prevent sharp shards from flying.

Eye Protection is an absolute must too.

Re: tub removal - doc1 - 02-22-2016

As you use that sledge, keep in mind that the wall on the other side is probably plaster. When you hit the sledge against the tub edge that is next to the studs, you may break up the plaster on the other side.

Re: tub removal - fredhargis - 02-22-2016

I paid to have ours removed, and the guy choose to get help and remove it in one piece. When I asked he said there's usually so much damage to the room when you break it up it's easier to go one piece. Not suggesting you do that, just saying plan ahead.