Woodnet Forums
"Good deal" got me in trouble -- anybody installed a "Vessel sink"? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: "Good deal" got me in trouble -- anybody installed a "Vessel sink"? (/showthread.php?tid=7233971)

"Good deal" got me in trouble -- anybody installed a "Vessel sink"? - Wild Turkey - 03-02-2016

Bought something a few years ago and the guy threw in a couple of vessel sinks.

i planned on selling them but LOML decided they were worth keeping

Fast forward a few years -- now she wants them installed on top of a dresser she got as part of an estate.

Plumbing is not a problem the dresser has doors on each end and room behind the drawers for the drains but how do you attach a vessel sink to the counter top???

Re: "Good deal" got me in trouble -- anybody installed a "Vessel sink"? - CLETUS - 03-02-2016

Silicone

Re: "Good deal" got me in trouble -- anybody installed a "Vessel sink"? - gMike - 03-02-2016

They generally have a long threaded drain pipe that is used to mount the sink from the bottom. Once you look at the drains built specifically for vessel sinks it's self-explanatory.

Re: "Good deal" got me in trouble -- anybody installed a "Vessel sink"? - Mr_Mike - 03-02-2016

Put the vessel sink right in front of wherever your wife spends her morning prep time in the bathroom and tell her if she can keep everything clean around the sink, you will install it.

Personally, I'd hate to deal with a vessel sink. Hard to clean around.

Re: "Good deal" got me in trouble -- anybody installed a "Vessel sink"? - Wild Turkey - 03-02-2016

It's part of a redo of the "guest" bedroom so upkeep isn't a big item.

Re: "Good deal" got me in trouble -- anybody installed a "Vessel sink"? - joe1086 - 03-02-2016

FWIW

Make sure you get the right height spout. Too many times I see these sinks with too short spouts. Also look for one that shoots the flow towards the basin center, not straight down.

Re: "Good deal" got me in trouble -- anybody installed a "Vessel sink"? - Admiral - 03-02-2016

I see these things around and about and never "got" the concept of why anyone would want one. To me they look like a bathroom designer's brain fart, hard plumbing a surface mounted bowl is just asking for a messy countertop. I guess I'm just old and cranky and have no sense of "style." If my bride wanted something like that, I'd tell her to get the pitcher/bowl combination from the 19th century.

Re: "Good deal" got me in trouble -- anybody installed a "Vessel sink"? - Snipe Hunter - 03-02-2016

I think it's one of those styles. Not sure how long the style will last. Maybe as long as 9x9 floor tiles or avocado appliances.

Re: "Good deal" got me in trouble -- anybody installed a "Vessel sink"? - Mr_Mike - 03-02-2016

Wild Turkey said:

It's part of a redo of the "guest" bedroom so upkeep isn't a big item.

Hey, I tried. Now I might find a way for the wife to knock them off a shelf.

First thing I'd do is figure out if I can source the correct drain. I have no clue whether these are generic or brand specific. If brand specific, that might be why you got them for free.

Re: "Good deal" got me in trouble -- anybody installed a "Vessel sink"? - Wild Turkey - 03-02-2016

Mr_Mike said:

If brand specific, that might be why you got them for free.

I'll do some checking