Woodnet Forums
Stabbed In The Back - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Stabbed In The Back (/showthread.php?tid=7246948)

Stabbed In The Back - crokett™ - 03-19-2016

receptacles that is. No judgement here, just curious if anyone here uses them. I put in all the receptacles and switches upstairs today. I still wrap the wire around the terminal screw. It's slower but when I learned as a young teenager it was from an electrician who was old even then. I don't know if they were as prevalent, but his opinion was backstabbed receptacles weren't nearly as reliable. Has that changed?

Re: Stabbed In The Back - EricU - 03-19-2016

I like to get the ones that can't be stabbed in the back. And I don't like working on them. The failed handyman we bought this house from used them a lot. I have seen some he installed that seemed really questionable and I had to replace one or two.

Re: Stabbed In The Back - Wild Turkey - 03-19-2016

Ok for quick work that will never see much of a load. I've had to redo a couple and didn't like the way they looked so I always wrap it.

Re: Stabbed In The Back - EatenByLimestone - 03-19-2016

I never stab. I also always buy the largest box I can stuff in the wall. I really hate trying to cram everything back into a really small box.

Re: Stabbed In The Back - Admiral - 03-19-2016

I don't either, I also buy the higher priced ones, Hubbell if I can get 'em.

Re: Stabbed In The Back - crokett™ - 03-19-2016

What I'd like is for somebody to sell some that have the terminals that the GFI ones do. A sort of clamp that is held down by a screw so you don't need to wrap the wire, but it's better than just stabbing them.

Re: Stabbed In The Back - TDKPE - 03-19-2016

crokett™ said:

What I'd like is for somebody to sell some that have the terminals that the GFI ones do. A sort of clamp that is held down by a screw so you don't need to wrap the wire, but it's better than just stabbing them.

Spec grade. Backwired (not to be confused with back stabs, which are just spring loaded and not durable), with clamps, but you can use the screws instead if you prefer.

Re: Stabbed In The Back - Foghorn - 03-19-2016

crokett™ said:

They are made by a few different manufacturers. Here is one

http://www.lowes.com/pd_591442-427-BR15G...plex+outlet#img

Generally they cost about $3 each at the BORG, as opposed to the standard ones for around a buck.

Re: Stabbed In The Back - A Squared - 03-19-2016

crokett™ said:

They sell those. Take a closer look at the selection of receptacles next time you're in Home Depot. Last time I looked, there were I think two grades above the standard contractor grade which had the clamp style terminals.

Re: Stabbed In The Back - Mr_Mike - 03-19-2016

TDKPE said:

[blockquote]crokett™ said:

Spec grade. Backwired (not to be confused with back stabs, which are just spring loaded and not durable), with clamps, but you can use the screws instead if you prefer.

[/blockquote]

+1. I always use backwired components when I can get them. Everytime I touch a box with backstabed components, I either use the screws or replace them with backwired.