Woodnet Forums
Wren Birdhouse - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Wren Birdhouse (/showthread.php?tid=7249278)

Wren Birdhouse - Steve K - 03-22-2016

Spring is in the air! I made a wren birdhouse a couple years ago in the shape of an acorn. Got lots of comments on it and the wife has been after me to make some more. So, I did and shot a little video of it at the same time. Easy and fun project and the ladies love em!

Wren birdhouse

Re: Wren Birdhouse - Arlin Eastman - 03-22-2016

Steve

I have been wanting to make small bird houses/ornament and big birdhouses for several years now and it seems I am just to busy doing other thing.

I do have a few 8" thick by 20" ceder logs in my garage I am wanting to make into birdhouses for 4 months now and they are still sitting next to the lathe.

Sometime I am going to have some ME time and make a lot of things I want.

Arlin

Re: Wren Birdhouse - Wild Turkey - 03-22-2016

Very neat -- I may have to try some of those.

One word of advice to birdhouse makers -- don't put those little perches by the doors. They provide predators a place to perch and reach in and grab eggs/young.

Re: Wren Birdhouse - Steve K - 03-22-2016

Wild Turkey said:

Very neat -- I may have to try some of those.

One word of advice to birdhouse makers -- don't put those little perches by the doors. They provide predators a place to perch and reach in and grab eggs/young.

Good advice and I address that in the video. For wrens especially no perch is better.

Re: Wren Birdhouse - jerickson - 03-22-2016

Nice! Thanks for the video. :-)

Re: Wren Birdhouse - MichaelMouse - 03-23-2016

Did some wren houses this year myself. Not of the same quality, but they are ready for the orchard when the snow lets me in. Couple of sources recommended ventilation for best egg development, so they are vented.

Bluebird houses went up during last week's thaw. Old ones were over 12 years, and getting ratty.

Re: Wren Birdhouse - Steve K - 03-23-2016

MichaelMouse said:

Did some wren houses this year myself. Not of the same quality, but they are ready for the orchard when the snow lets me in. Couple of sources recommended ventilation for best egg development, so they are vented.
Bluebird houses went up during last week's thaw. Old ones were over 12 years, and getting ratty.

I like that design. You know, I'm sure, the same male wren will build in as many houses and attract as many mates as he can? When I was younger that seemed a fine plan, now, not so much
We always have blue birds in our yard but have stopped putting up houses. The last few times we did something killed the young so I just stopped putting them up. Sadly, we suspect it was the wrens.

Re: Wren Birdhouse - MichaelMouse - 03-24-2016

Bluebirds in more or less open fields, wrens in the edge of the woods is what I read for placement. Keeps them apart. BB houses go in pairs or trios for me. Swallows hate swallows, bluebirds hate bluebirds in their territory. Diversity works in their neighborhood!

Re: Wren Birdhouse - Arlin Eastman - 03-24-2016

Steve

I finally got to watch it and I enjoyed it a lot and enjoyed seeing you too.

Arlin