Woodnet Forums
Another brilliant tool from Lee Valley - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Another brilliant tool from Lee Valley (/showthread.php?tid=7256504)

Pages: 1 2

Re: Another brilliant tool from Lee Valley - Bill_Houghton - 04-01-2016

I'm disappointed, though, as I look at the metallurgy, that there's no PM XLII steel used. I'd heard Lee Valley was on the verge of introducing this radical new steel, the answer to everything, in some of its products. I guess it's not quite ready, and some more deep thought will be needed on the part of the LV engineers before we see it.

I am impressed, though, by the magnesium-thorium-zinc alloy in the pinion gears - I wonder if they used depleted thorium? Or, to state it more precisely, I wonder if they used thorium that had completed the thorium series decay cycle?

TucsonLawrence said:

I just wish they hada CNC version

Lawrence

Programmed, of course, with a slide rule and/or abacus.

Re: Another brilliant tool from Lee Valley - pprobus - 04-01-2016

Bill_Houghton said:

I'm disappointed, though, as I look at the metallurgy, that there's no PM XLII steel used. I'd heard Lee Valley was on the verge of introducing this radical new steel, the answer to everything, in some of its products. I guess it's not quite ready, and some more deep thought will be needed on the part of the LV engineers before we see it.

I am impressed, though, by the magnesium-thorium-zinc alloy in the pinion gears - I wonder if they used depleted thorium?

I especially liked that they used the newly discovered aluminum carbide.

Paul

Re: Another brilliant tool from Lee Valley - GNP - 04-01-2016

I'm really glad they made a left handed version, for us lefties.

edit to add; anyone recognize the song playing on the radio in the video?

Re: Another brilliant tool from Lee Valley - Frank Booth - 04-01-2016

Wow guys, that was a brilliant April fools tool! The production on that was as good as anything around. Well done!

Re: Another brilliant tool from Lee Valley - CedarSlayer - 04-01-2016

GNP said:

I'm really glad they made a left handed version, for us lefties.

edit to add; anyone recognize the song playing on the radio in the video?

Yes i am still rolling over it!

Bob

Re: Another brilliant tool from Lee Valley - cputnam - 04-01-2016

To the folks at Veritas: totally

Was very impressed with the totally overblown overengineered specifications. We all understand that we sometimes, perhaps even too often, demand more precision than is required for a given tool.

Y'all are to go out for a beer party after this one. Congratulations!

Re: Another brilliant tool from Lee Valley - MattP - 04-01-2016

Yeah, that was pretty hilarious.

Re: Another brilliant tool from Lee Valley - Paul-in-Plymouth - 04-01-2016

[blockquote]Bill_Houghton said:

"I am impressed, though, by the magnesium-thorium-zinc alloy in the pinion gears - I wonder if they used depleted thorium? Or, to state it more precisely, I wonder if they used thorium that had completed the thorium series decay cycle?"

AKA Pb-208? You'd have to wait a long time. Half-life of Th-232 is 14.1 billion years (and we’ve supposedly managed only 13.8 billion years so far since the Big-Bang). Another example of LV sparing no efforts to bring us the best.

Re: Another brilliant tool from Lee Valley - Arlin Eastman - 04-01-2016

It really made me laugh. At the 1:59 you see all the saw dust.

I really do like the attaching lights tho and wonder if anyone sells them for regular routers?

Well done Rob well done.

Arlin

Re: Another brilliant tool from Lee Valley - MauleSkinner - 04-01-2016

Paul-in-Plymouth said:

[blockquote]Bill_Houghton said:

"I am impressed, though, by the magnesium-thorium-zinc alloy in the pinion gears - I wonder if they used depleted thorium? Or, to state it more precisely, I wonder if they used thorium that had completed the thorium series decay cycle?"

AKA Pb-208? You'd have to wait a long time. Half-life of Th-232 is 14.1 billion years (and we’ve supposedly managed only 13.8 billion years so far since the Big-Bang). Another example of LV sparing no efforts to bring us the best.

obviously the decay cycle is complete, as it's rot-resistant!