Woodnet Forums
I got in - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: I got in (/showthread.php?tid=7261937)

I got in - badwhiskey - 04-09-2016

For several years I was in the local art/craft show. It was in our tiny town, but a decent show. I enjoyed it and made a little money. Sadly, the show folded last year due to lack of volunteers. Without a show to prepare for, I was kind of adrift when it came to turning. I'm in a gallery as well, but they sell just a few pieces per year so it is easy to keep them stocked. Well this Spring, I made the leap and applied to be in the best show in the area.

I was a little worried about getting in. I attend every year, and they have really great exhibitors. Well, I got in! I'm pretty excited, but also a little anxious. My best stuff is good enough, but I don't have enough of the top material. I'm tempted to give away a lot of my filler material to force me to really step up. Also my booth/display is decent, but not top end. I have my work cut out for me.

Show isn't until September, so I guess I have time. I'm making a Christmas ornament display now. Need to stock up on pens. And then make some really funky bowls to catch people's eye.

Re: I got in - Arlin Eastman - 04-09-2016

Glad you got into a better show and I know you will step up to the challenge.

Arlin

Re: I got in - robo hippy - 04-09-2016

Best advice I can give for any one doing shows is to have some of everything. Small items and things that aren't fancy still sell well at 'art' shows. You may move a few more of the more expensive items at the bigger shows, but variety always works, at least for me...

Have fun!

robo hippy

Re: I got in - chips ahoy - 04-09-2016

Best of luck to you Frank, hope you do well.

Mel

Re: I got in - badwhiskey - 04-10-2016

Thanks for the support, fellas.

Reed, that is good advice. I do have a range of items. But I have some plates and platters that no one ever even glances at. I schelp them around to fill out the booth, but I think I need to leave them home this time.

Re: I got in - EightFingers - 04-10-2016

Before I moved to Hawaii, I did a lot of those shows. For the higher end shows you need a professional display. Very few homemade ones ever really make the cut. I suggest using something called Propanels. Pricey, but worth it if you're going to keep doing shows. If this is an outdoor show, get a nice tent, no "Easy-Ups".
After we spent the big bucks, our sales went way up.

*i have no connection with ProPanels except being a customer.

Re: I got in - badwhiskey - 04-11-2016

Thanks, I'll check them out.