Woodnet Forums
About that collection of mixed screws - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: About that collection of mixed screws (/showthread.php?tid=7266669)

Pages: 1 2

About that collection of mixed screws - Shovel Man - 04-15-2016

As a hobbyist I have, like many of you, a pan of mixed screws that I dig into for a few screws on occasion. Today I caught myself bypassing the ones with straight slots. Realizing that this had been a habit for a few years I noticed that the collection had become mostly straight slots. So, like the great lock washer purge of '98, I started tossing them into the recycling bin. Brass screws get a reprieve.

Re: About that collection of mixed screws - Robert Adams - 04-15-2016

I dumped all my common hardware years ago. The only common headed stuff I kept was the machine screws. I don't know why the common headed screw is still even made other than to aggravate people. Seems screw manufacturers are somewhat vindictive.

Oh I also have some silicon bronze screws that I will keep as well.

Re: About that collection of mixed screws - Steve N - 04-15-2016

I am a packrat who has built an extra building after filling one up

Consequently I probably have every extra screw or bolt from all the oddball stuff I have had somewhere in a collective of containers like these.

or these

I even check them when I need a fastener or two. Unfortunately because I need a 12 step program for hardware if I need 3 or more, off to the store I go.

Re: About that collection of mixed screws - K. L. McReynolds - 04-15-2016

I am in the process of replacing all the original cabinet hinges in our built in 1965 houes.

Every single screw is a straight slotted one.

I have a DeWalt 20v drill.

It is an adventure getting some of them(bottom hinge 10" off the floor, for example.

The little LED light on the drill is calibrated for a point about 8" in front of the chuck----meaning an extension is necessary.

I'm old and fat, can no longer bend/kneel. It is an adventure.

Re: About that collection of mixed screws - daddo - 04-15-2016

Straight slot screws yes, but I keep all lock washers.

I hated straight slot screws since I turned my first one probably 50 years ago. The Philips wasn't much better. The square is my favorite, now they have the star drive which is fine- they can stop there. I'm tired of re-tooling.

Re: About that collection of mixed screws - Stwood_ - 04-15-2016

daddo said:

Straight slot screws yes, but I keep all lock washers.

I hated straight slot screws since I turned my first one probably 50 years ago. The Philips wasn't much better. The square is my favorite, now they have the star drive which is fine- they can stop there. I'm tired of re-tooling.

+1

Re: About that collection of mixed screws - JR1 - 04-16-2016

With the exception of some old junk all most all of my screws are square drive from McFeeleys. I got hem back in the day when you bought a screw assortment the whole order shipped free. Common and Philips both suck! Philips is supposed to cam out before the screw is damaged—Ya right I have some torx, pozi, hex and combo though.

Re: About that collection of mixed screws - glzahn - 04-16-2016

I've been collecting screws, nuts, bolts, and washers for 40 yrs. When my kids were babies I kept all the powdered formula tin cans, painted them black and labeled them. Nuts, Bolts, Wood screws, 16d common, 8d Finish, etc. That way if I was in the house doing something I could have my kids grab the appropriate container and bring it to me if needed.

15 yrs ago I paid my daughter $.02 a slotted screw to remove them from my collection. I think she made $5. Haven't used a slotted screw since.

Re: About that collection of mixed screws - John Mihich - 04-16-2016

I had a collection in bottles for a while. When we moved I bought some of those drawers. I gave the kids a job to sort them. It has been great. Only problem is now I have to look in several drawes before I find what I want. I do have them sorted by type and size but I forgot that when I need something.

Re: About that collection of mixed screws - daddo - 04-16-2016

glzahn said:

I've been collecting screws, nuts, bolts, and washers for 40 yrs. When my kids were babies I kept all the powdered formula tin cans, painted them black and labeled them. Nuts, Bolts, Wood screws, 16d common, 8d Finish, etc. That way if I was in the house doing something I could have my kids grab the appropriate container and bring it to me if needed.

15 yrs ago I paid my daughter $.02 a slotted screw to remove them from my collection. I think she made $5. Haven't used a slotted screw since.

That's when she found out about taxes, insurance and benefits- you deducted $4 from that right?