Woodnet Forums
A question of a DC choise - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: A question of a DC choise (/showthread.php?tid=7268810)

A question of a DC choise - Arlin Eastman - 04-20-2016

Which of these would you buy

1. Grizzly http://www.grizzly.com/products/5-HP-Cyclone-Dust-Collector/G0442?utm_campaign=zPage

2. Clear Vue CV1800 http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/cv1800-series/23-cv1800-lh-single-phase-with-filters.html

The Clear Vue will need a lot of add on's to total of $2400 but the grizzly is $2550 and just needs an hose with reducers. Also the Grizzly has Air suction capacity: 2184 CFM @ 1.9" SP and Maximum static pressure: 14.0" with •Impeller: 16" steel radial fin and the Clear Vue has 1,442 CFM with Impeller: 15”

Thank you for any advise.

Arlin

Re: A question of a DC choise - McApple - 04-20-2016

Arlin,

I have used an Oneida Super Dust Gorilla with a 35 gallon drum for better than 10 years and love it. At just over $2,000 it is cheaper than the ones you are looking at, it has a smaller footprint, and a HEPA filte. They used to be manufactured in the US, I don't know if that is still the case.

A wall mount takes up a lot less space than one of those support systems.

Re: A question of a DC choise - EvilTwin - 04-20-2016

Those are both fairly large machines with quite a high air volume. Do you need that much? I would think those would be used in commercial shops with more than one piece of equipment running at one time.

While I like the fact that the clear view is American made and you can see the dust swirling through it, the Griz is a much more integrated package and would probably get my vote. As it is, I got a used Oneida for about 500 several years ago so finding something for less money would also be an option if you have the time.

Re: A question of a DC choise - Woodshop - 04-20-2016

I have the Grizzly G0441 3hp for 11 years now. great collection with a cyclone. the 5 should be even better. the best thing I did for it was put a 8" main trunk across the ceiling, center of my shop and make 6" drops to my main machines. most had 4". so I made 6" on the planer, 2 table saws and jointer, only have four 4" drops for the smaller machines on wheels or portable. like bandsaws, shaper, sanders, moulder, etc. also have a gate on every drop
you want to keep as much air flowing as possible by eliminating 4" ports.

Re: A question of a DC choise - TucsonLawrence - 04-20-2016

Arlin,

Just remember that a 5hp will require a higher amperage than a 20 amp 220 service will provide- (this was my reason for my plans steppinig down to a 3hp instead of a 5)

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
Lawrence

Re: A question of a DC choise - Arlin Eastman - 04-20-2016

Twin

I want one like this so when we get to rent a building I will take it over there, but we need one now.

Do you have a link to the Oneida please

Lawrence Thank you for the idea it is good info but I have 220 30amp in the garage already for the other machines.

Re: A question of a DC choise - BloomingtonMike - 04-20-2016

Glad times are good for you Arlin. All the best.

Re: A question of a DC choise - McApple - 04-20-2016

Arlin Eastman said:

Do you have a link to the Oneida please

Arlin,

Here is the link . Watch the price, they charge extra for the mounting system aND the shavings drum. When I bought mine, it was under $1,000, times have changed.

No matter which one you choose, I would stay with the 3 hp models, I run my whole 28'×32' on mine. I have 3 legs and am able to have two ports open at any time, as long as they are not on the same leg. My ts is on a separate leg and the gate is always open; the rest of my stuff is on the other 2 legs.