Woodnet Forums
Blessed Mother - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Blessed Mother (/showthread.php?tid=7270082)

Blessed Mother - JTTHECLOCKMAN - 04-21-2016

Maybe a strange request but not for me. My Mom passed away in Jan this year and I have been in the process of selling the home. One thing that I want to take with me is the statue of the Blessed Mother which she always had in her back yard and she cherished this. I want to make some sort of a pedistal to sit this on with some flowers flanking it.

I was wondering if anyone here has something like this in their yards and if they would share some photos so I may get some ideas. My Mom had hers basically sitting on a stone surrounded by flowers but i want to raise it somewhat. Thanks in advance.

Re: Blessed Mother - Bob10 - 04-21-2016

The Italians in SF used to make what amounts to a cove out of stones so protect the statue from the elements and allow for candles with less chance of blowing out. I tore one down recently for a friend that was selling his house and didn't want to scare off chinese buyers

Somehing like this

Re: Blessed Mother - theeviltwinn - 04-22-2016

Sorry for your loss.

Try a garden center. They have all kinds of landscape stones and things for setting flower pots. Pick what goes best with the house.

Twinn

Re: Blessed Mother - Admiral - 04-22-2016

Bob10 said:

The Italians in SF used to make what amounts to a cove out of stones so protect the statue from the elements and allow for candles with less chance of blowing out. I tore one down recently for a friend that was selling his house and didn't want to scare off chinese buyers

Somehing like this

Yeah, called a "grotto" and in my neck of the woods there were a lot of Italian stone masons who built them for the churches, and then smaller ones in their back yards. Clearly a regional thing.

Re: Blessed Mother - CLETUS - 04-22-2016

Re: Blessed Mother - crokettâ„¢ - 04-22-2016

Apparently I'm becoming redneck. I was sitting here thinking you could use an old bathtub and then put the stones around it.

Re: Blessed Mother - CLETUS - 04-22-2016

crokettâ„¢ said:

Apparently I'm becoming redneck. I was sitting here thinking you could use an old bathtub and then put the stones around it.

Quite popular around here. We have one at the family farm.

Re: Blessed Mother - Peter Tremblay - 04-22-2016

Very popular in a lot of places.

We call them "bath tub Mary" on the professionals side of things

Re: Blessed Mother - Mking143 - 04-23-2016

Being a New Englander, around here we call it a Mary in a Halfshell.

Re: Blessed Mother - EricU - 04-24-2016

Bob, you coulda saved a lot of work by replacing Mary with a Buddha statue. To the OP, sorry for your loss. I like the stone grotto idea, but it seems like a lot of work.