Woodnet Forums
keyless chuck - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: keyless chuck (/showthread.php?tid=7271104)

keyless chuck - GEB - 04-23-2016

Anyone had any experience replacing the keyless chuck on an older >15 yr DeWalt cordless drill? The newer ones show a slot screw down in the center presumably into the shaft that needs to be removed. Mine looks like a pin or rivet with no visible purchase.
Bill

Re: keyless chuck - museumguy - 04-23-2016

We just replaced one on a cordless drill at work, huge pain in the a**. The new chuck didn't work very well, I think it had to do with the internal gears and removing the old one. Others may be more helpful.

Re: keyless chuck - Mr_Mike - 04-24-2016

Probably a torx screw, but there is a screw.

Re: keyless chuck - fredhargis - 04-24-2016

Piece of cake. I followed this when i replaced one on a Milwaukee drill...I changed from keyless to keyed.

Re: keyless chuck - brianwelch - 04-24-2016

Possibly reverse threaded...I replaced a bad keyed chuck with a keyless version a number of years ago. Seemed to me that was the case.

Re: keyless chuck - Robert Adams - 04-24-2016

brianwelch said:

Possibly reverse threaded...I replaced a bad keyed chuck with a keyless version a number of years ago. Seemed to me that was the case.

Yup. Every one I have replaced has a lefthanded screw. Even after you get the screw out its a bear to get the chuck off.

Re: keyless chuck - Mr_Mike - 04-24-2016

Yes, reverse threaded. Always. After the screw is out, chuck up the small end of a large allen key. Whack it with a hammer to spin off the chuck. Chuck spins off right handed.

Re: keyless chuck - GEB - 04-26-2016

Thanks for all the responses but my drill must be an earlier model than what you folks have described. I looked real hard and all I see is something round on the face of the shaft with a much smaller dot in the middle. No slot or hex. The dot is recessed and will accept a very small <1/8” probe. And given some remarks about the new chuck not fitting all that well, I’ll start shopping for a new one, (or two)! I am warming up the DW’s drill and impact duo. Thanks again.
Bill

Re: keyless chuck - Robert Adams - 04-26-2016

Sounds like it might be one of their drills with a riveted on chuck. They would make the shaft longer and peen over the end. I have a drill like that and the one I had wasn't worth replacing the chuck on.