Woodnet Forums
Kitchen overhaul is DONE! - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Kitchen overhaul is DONE! (/showthread.php?tid=7276578)

Pages: 1 2

Re: Kitchen overhaul is DONE! - EricU - 05-07-2016

nice job, I wish our cabinets went all the way to the ceiling instead of boxes. Not sure if I can fix that easily. I have agreed to take out the cabinet over the island, but I'm not sure where this will all end. Our cabinets look like they are better built than newer ones. I have been thinking about just getting new doors and re-facing the drawers.

Re: Kitchen overhaul is DONE! - Cub_Cadet_GT - 05-11-2016

Dumb_Polack said:

I dunno...IMO they still look like they're from the 70's

+1

Re: Kitchen overhaul is DONE! - K. L. McReynolds - 05-12-2016

Dumb_Polack said:

I dunno...IMO they still look like they're from the 70's

Builder was ahead of his time, then. Those are 60's cabinets.

Painted 60's cabs are a heck of a lot cheaper than new teens cabs.

Re: Kitchen overhaul is DONE! - J-W-P - 05-12-2016

What paint did you use?

Re: Kitchen overhaul is DONE! - K. L. McReynolds - 05-12-2016

Sherwin Williams ProMar200 oil based gloss. 2 coats over BIN shellac based primer(not water based).

Re: Kitchen overhaul is DONE! - oscarMadison - 05-15-2016

cool. Nice job. Like the trim being painted another color. Do you have any before pics?

fyi, I think your cutting board is on drugs.

Re: Kitchen overhaul is DONE! - K. L. McReynolds - 05-16-2016

Old (original) color and finish:

Re: Kitchen overhaul is DONE! - oscarMadison - 05-16-2016

those look in pretty good shape even before painting. The trim does get lost though.

Re: Kitchen overhaul is DONE! - K. L. McReynolds - 05-17-2016

They are in good shape, except for the finish. I figure the stain is fruitwood(done in 1965 when that awful color was popular).

Then 40+ years of abuse/water/etc. Two of the lower cab doors need either repaired or replaced.

That was the reason we decided to paint versus replace(well, the cost of new was a factor ).

Re: Kitchen overhaul is DONE! - BacsiBob - 05-20-2016

My step-dad was a home builder and for 10 yrs. my name was "Hold This". I helped build several of those kinds of kitchens and they are stick built.

Birch plywood was of such good quality that he could round over the edges of cabinet doors and after finishing, it was hard to tell it was plywood.