Woodnet Forums
Harbor Freight dust collector stopped working - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Harbor Freight dust collector stopped working (/showthread.php?tid=7282615)

Harbor Freight dust collector stopped working - Cdshakes - 05-12-2016

I was using it today, working fine, then tried turning it on again (from my long ranger remote) and it clicked, and the motor made a sound, then died. I was using a heavy duty AC ext cord (haven't had a chance to put an outlet in front of the DC yet-- on my to do list. The plug end of the DC was a little sticky-- dunno if it was getting hot before when running it? I cleaned it up, and no go-- i'm plugging it directly into a 20amp outlet now.
I don't see any fuses or circuit breaker switches-- is there anything else i can check?
What is the thing on top under the cover-- looks maybe like a capacitor??

Colin

Re: Harbor Freight dust collector stopped working - Cdshakes - 05-12-2016

wow-- i read on another forum about the switches dying-- seemed odd as i hadn't used the switch in a long time (since moving to the long ranger--but tried it-- low and behold it is the switch. I'd love to replace it rather than just bypassing it-- any idea where to get this double pole switch from?

Re: Harbor Freight dust collector stopped working - WaterlooMarc - 05-12-2016

Grizzly usually has a decent selection of switches.

Re: Harbor Freight dust collector stopped working - sweensdv - 05-13-2016

Call Harbor Freight and order one from them. When the switch on my DC failed that's what I did and they got a new one to me in just a few days.

Re: Harbor Freight dust collector stopped working - brnhornt - 05-13-2016

sweensdv said:

Call Harbor Freight and order one from them. When the switch on my DC failed that's what I did and they got a new one to me in just a few days.

+1 yep...mine failed/melted a few months back...had a new one (and a spare) out to me in a few days. Since you have the lone ranger...you could just wire it "always on" for now until you get the replacement switch....

Re: Harbor Freight dust collector stopped working - Cdshakes - 05-13-2016

brnhornt said:

[blockquote]sweensdv said:

+1 yep...mine failed/melted a few months back...had a new one (and a spare) out to me in a few days. Since you have the lone ranger...you could just wire it "always on" for now until you get the replacement switch....

[/blockquote]

that's exactly what i did for now... got me 2 pieces of 12 ga and put male terminals on the end like what the back of the switch has and just connected together--back in business!

Re: Harbor Freight dust collector stopped working - Mking143 - 05-17-2016

When my HFDC stopped working it turned out to be the start capacitor. I ordered one from Global Industrial or Grainger, I forget which. 3 days later I was back in business. It may have cost $18.

Re: Harbor Freight dust collector stopped working - Cdshakes - 05-19-2016

Mking143 said:

When my HFDC stopped working it turned out to be the start capacitor. I ordered one from Global Industrial or Grainger, I forget which. 3 days later I was back in business. It may have cost $18.

Mine is back working again-- it was the switch--it was melted on the back. I read the side of the switch, rated for 7.5/15 amps... i know the DC draws more than that.
Is the starter capacitor the thing on the top under that metal cover?
How did you determine that was the issue?
Colin