Woodnet Forums
Table Saw History - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Table Saw History (/showthread.php?tid=7283726)

Table Saw History - Ruler2112 - 05-14-2016

I don't remember where I saw this, but thought it was interesting. (It was a documentary on something & they had these tidbits of information in a short segment.)

The circular saw blade design was invented in the 1780s when a wife was watching the men cut up a log with one of those two man saws. She thought they were working too hard and came up with what we now call a circular saw blade.

The first commercial table saw wasn't available until the late 1800s and you drove the blade with your foot, much like a bike wheel.

Re: Table Saw History - daddo - 05-14-2016

So what happened when she came up with the round blade? Did they make one- and how did they use it? Or was the first commercial blade the actual first blade?

Re: Table Saw History - Ruler2112 - 05-14-2016

daddo said:

So what happened when she came up with the round blade? Did they make one- and how did they use it? Or was the first commercial blade the actual first blade?

Ya got me - that's all the information that was in the show. Wish I could remember where it was... either How it's Made or YouTube I'm guessing.

Re: Table Saw History - jteneyck - 05-15-2016

Much earlier according to this: Link Look on page 42 of the document (page 39 of the pdf). This relates to the circular saw blade, not a table saw.

John