Woodnet Forums
Dibbler - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Dibbler (/showthread.php?tid=7290706)

Dibbler - hankgillette - 05-27-2016

This tool I made is called a dibbler. You, there, in back, get your mind out of the gutter! It’s used to poke holes in the… Let me rephrase that. It’s purpose is to plant seeds… Okay, I think it’s safe to say that the lines are markers to know how deep in the hole … Forget it. You can learn all you want to know about garden dibblers on the Internet.

Re: Dibbler - Arlin Eastman - 05-28-2016

Hi Hank and good to meet you.

I have seen them for sale at home and garden centers and were used for planting bulbs at certain depth.

I wish I could use one and maybe sit on the ground to plant them since I love flowers of all kinds.

Hope to see you posting more.

Arlin

Re: Dibbler - chips ahoy - 05-28-2016

Great idea ,Hank. Buddy of mine is a gardener and just getting in to turning so passed it on to him. Nice job, what kind of wood and did you put a finish on it?

Mel

Re: Dibbler - robo hippy - 05-28-2016

Used one to help in planting my sun flower forest. Most people have some sunflowers, I have a forest of them. Non stop activity with birds, bees and squirrels...

robo hippy

Re: Dibbler - MichaelMouse - 05-28-2016

Pull the tail stock a bit farther down the ways and make spurtles. Be prepared to answer questions from non Scots!

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=spu...e&FORM=IGRE

Re: Dibbler - hankgillette - 05-28-2016

chips ahoy said:

Great idea ,Hank. Buddy of mine is a gardener and just getting in to turning so passed it on to him. Nice job, what kind of wood and did you put a finish on it?

Mel

I this one with a piece of poplar from pallet wood. Since it was kind of a prototype (and is going to be stuck in the ground anyway), I didn’t go for maximum smoothness. You can see some fuzzy areas where the handle transitions to the blade and at the top of the handle.

I used a friction finish, but I don’t know how well that or any other finish was last when it is used.

This is a good beginner project. Turning doesn’t get much easier than this, since anything that comes to a near point will work. The lines are nice, but not really necessary.

robo hippy said:

Used one to help in planting my sun flower forest. Most people have some sunflowers, I have a forest of them. Non stop activity with birds, bees and squirrels...

I saw another tool for doing the same function that had a board with evenly spaced pegs on it, allowing 40 holes to be made at once. Something like that might be more useful for your forest.

MichaelMouse said:

Pull the tail stock a bit farther down the ways and make spurtles. Be prepared to answer questions from non Scots!

That’s on my to do list, along with a honey dipper.

Re: Dibbler - stoppy - 05-30-2016

I sell them on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121986565472?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2648

Re: Dibbler - Steve K - 05-30-2016

Nicely done, these kinds of projects are great skill builders!