Woodnet Forums
Hemlock - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Hemlock (/showthread.php?tid=7296320)

Hemlock - Turner52 - 06-07-2016

Can buy hemlock for.50 a board foot. Do a lot of segmented turnings. Has anyone used hemlock for this and what could I expect as to grain and color.

Re: Hemlock - Arlin Eastman - 06-07-2016

I have never seen it or used it before so know idea.

Re: Hemlock - MichaelMouse - 06-07-2016

Eastern? Tsuga canadensis is a stinking, brittle, Nasty wood prone to "wind shakes" and internal splits.

If you get some that's sound, you can get some neat work by wire brushing the earlywood back for a "weathered" effect. Other than that - nothing special.

Western hemlock - Tsuga hetrophylla - is prized for use in construction, and is also rated well in workability. Long time since I worked it, but it was edge friendly, unlike its eastern cousin.

Re: Hemlock - BandSawyer - 06-07-2016

I have lots of eastern hemlock on my property and I have milled thousands of board feet on my sawmill. I know it does not stink. About 35% of it will have ring shake.
I used it as the frame stock for my barn and it was great. Most people will tell you that it will split when nailing it but I know that to be false. Hot galvanized nails work fine. I do find it has plenty of splinters ready to embed in your hand.
As far as turning I would think the shake problem would be your issue. It is easy to spot as the wood will fall apart if it has it.

Re: Hemlock - SteveS - 06-07-2016

we only use western hemlock around here for construction. I would never touch it for turning.

Re: Hemlock - MichaelMouse - 06-07-2016

Nasty smell if you char it cutting after it's dry. My nose and anyone else who's been in the shop when I rip it agree. We see it as B&B siding and as post/beam in old barns, but that's pretty much because nobody could sell it.

As I said, wire brush and some "aging" coloration makes it nice. Very saleable picture frames.

Re: Hemlock - n7bsn - 06-07-2016

Bill Luce uses old-growth Fir & Hemlock. He wants tight-narrow growth rings

Re: Hemlock - Turner52 - 06-08-2016

Thanks for the info. Guess I will pass.