Woodnet Forums
Table saw molding head knives in belsaw planer? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Table saw molding head knives in belsaw planer? (/showthread.php?tid=7309221)

Table saw molding head knives in belsaw planer? - JDuke - 06-28-2016

I have some molding in my house that has a profile that looks like it was done with two passes on a knife that was commonly available with the table saw moulding head that craftsman use to market for use on a table saw or radial arm saw.

I have a saw stop so using the molding head isn't possible, but I'm wondering if I could mount the knife in my belsaw 12" planer molder and run a few feet through?

Sounds like it would work, has anyone done this?

Duke

Re: Table saw molding head knives in belsaw planer? - goaliedad - 06-28-2016

I would find a friend with an old school tablesaw

Re: Table saw molding head knives in belsaw planer? - jteneyck - 06-28-2016

Those knives are the same thickness as in the Belsaw, I think, so it should work IF the length of the knives is very close to the same. If those specs are in order, and you have molding knife gibs (is that the right term?), you should be good to go.

John

Re: Table saw molding head knives in belsaw planer? - JDuke - 06-29-2016

I do have molding knife gib and the belsaw even has it in 3 sections with the middle one being about the right size for the craftsman knives

I may try it and post results

Thanks
Duke

Re: Table saw molding head knives in belsaw planer? - jteneyck - 06-29-2016

If you are referring to the gibs for the planer knives, those are not the ones you need for molding knives; they are too thick and the wrong material. The planer knives are 1/8" thick, the molding knives are 1/4" thick. Therefore, the gibs are a different thickness. The planer knife gibs are aluminum, too, while the molding knife gibs are steel.

What I'm saying is, don't use the planer gibs with molding knives.

John