Woodnet Forums
So I've got these drill bits - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: So I've got these drill bits (/showthread.php?tid=7311025)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: So I've got these drill bits - Bob Vaughan - 06-02-2019

For woodworking, the TiN coating is maybe slightly more slick in the flutes.  I really don't notice a difference.  Maybe if I were drilling hundreds of holes in the same species of wood and changed out bits, I might be able to tell a difference.  A bit with sharp cutting lips, well defined cutting spurs and a centered brad point will make more difference than anything in wood.

I think the black oxide finish is there to cover up burn and scorch marks when the bit was made.   Black oxide doesn't play well with aluminum some times.

RE: So I've got these drill bits - Redman - 06-03-2019

(06-02-2019, 08:43 PM)Bob Vaughan Wrote: I think the black oxide finish is there to cover up burn and scorch marks when the bit was made.   Black oxide doesn't play well with aluminum some times.

Interesting theory that manufacturers are using a black oxide coating to cover up substandard workmanship on drills. It follows from there that the many other items that are coated with black oxide are of substandard workmanship.

Can you tell us why the black oxide may be a problem with aluminum?

RE: So I've got these drill bits - Timberwolf - 06-03-2019

(06-03-2019, 06:18 AM)Redman Wrote: Interesting theory that manufacturers are using a black oxide coating to cover up substandard workmanship on drills. It follows from there that the many other items that are coated with black oxide are of substandard workmanship.

Can you tell us why the black oxide may be a problem with aluminum?
Google search..................

Titanium coated bits last up to 6X longer than standard high speed steel bits. ... Black Oxide – High speed steel bits with an added heat treatment that reduces friction between bit and workpiece. Black oxide bits have 50% longer life than standard high speed steel bits.

Reducing friction was my initial answer, then I decided to google it..probably helps reduce the fusing of aluminum and other metals to the cutting edge of the bits.

(06-03-2019, 08:51 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: ..................
Google search..................

Titanium coated bits last up to 6X longer than standard high speed steel bits. ... Black Oxide – High speed steel bits with an added heat treatment that reduces friction between bit and workpiece. Black oxide bits have 50% longer life than standard high speed steel bits.

Reducing friction was my initial answer, then I decided to google it..probably helps reduce the fusing of aluminum and other metals to the cutting edge of the bits.

Black Oxide also reduces corrosion and can be oil treated to enhance that. TiN coated tools can be run at high speeds than BO or non-coated tools. Aluminum will fuse to most cutting tools if enough heat is involved. Metal fusing to non-coated taps can be a really bad scene but proper speed and coolant will mostly stop that. No Google involved here, I retired from the machinist trade after 44 years. Manufacturers do not knowingly sell defective tooling.

(06-03-2019, 09:16 AM)Redman Wrote: Black Oxide also reduces corrosion and can be oil treated to enhance that. TiN coated tools can be run at high speeds than BO or non-coated tools. Aluminum will fuse to most cutting tools if enough heat is involved. Metal fusing to non-coated taps can be a really bad scene but proper speed and coolant will mostly stop that. No Google involved here, I retired from the machinist trade after 44 years. Manufacturers do not knowingly sell defective tooling.

Machine tech has come a long way since I started my machinist apprenticeship way back in 1948/50....but some things never change.,
Big Grin

(06-03-2019, 11:17 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: .................
Machine tech has come a long way since I started my machinist apprenticeship way back in 1948/50....but some things never change.,
Big Grin

Yes, I started my machinist apprenticeship around 1972/74, worked in the trade before that. 1948/50? That must make you almost as old as Moses. 
Laugh

RE: So I've got these drill bits - Stwood_ - 06-03-2019

(06-03-2019, 01:06 PM)Redman Wrote: Yes, I started my machinist apprenticeship around 1972/74, worked in the trade before that. 1948/50? That must make you almost as old as Moses. 
Laugh

Dad is Moses.
Winkgrin

(06-03-2019, 01:25 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Dad is Moses.  
Winkgrin

Oh. Sorry Dad.

(06-03-2019, 01:06 PM)Redman Wrote: Yes, I started my machinist apprenticeship around 1972/74, worked in the trade before that. 1948/50? That must make you almost as old as Moses. 
Laugh
Yep....Moses was my younger brother......
Big Grin ...86

RE: So I've got these drill bits - Bob Vaughan - 06-03-2019

(06-03-2019, 08:53 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ..........................
Yep....Moses was my younger brother......
Big Grin ...86

LOL
Wow, after being at it for so long you must have a heck of a shop.  I'll have to stop by for a tour next time I'm having lunch at Crabby Bill's.