Woodnet Forums
Colored Pencil Bottle Stopper - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Colored Pencil Bottle Stopper (/showthread.php?tid=7312807)

Colored Pencil Bottle Stopper - badwhiskey - 07-05-2016

So, our very own kludge posted this tutorial about how to make a colored pencil ring. I adapted that to make a bottle stopper:

Used CA glue. I'd use hexagon, rather than round pens, if I do it again. I didn't catch that in the tutorial. Turned out okay. I can definitely improve. I had to put a little CA in the hole to harden the wood so that I could keep it on the mandrel.

Re: Colored Pencil Bottle Stopper - kludge - 07-05-2016

You did it! Was a bit worried when I didn't see an update. I know how easy those pencils can bust up!

Tell me about the sanding. I think that was one of the tricky bits but you don't seem to have much "cross contamination" of the colors!

Re: Colored Pencil Bottle Stopper - chips ahoy - 07-06-2016

Kludge
I loved your ring video, beautiful job. Frank, you did an amazing job on that wine stopper, especially since you used round pencils. Beautiful work guys.

Mel

Re: Colored Pencil Bottle Stopper - Arlin Eastman - 07-06-2016

I like it. Well done

Re: Colored Pencil Bottle Stopper - badwhiskey - 07-06-2016

Thanks all.

Yeah, the first one I did blew apart. I wasn't careful enough with the CA, and that combined with the round pencils did it in. I did get some cross contamination, but with enough sanding most of it disappeared. I watched another video that recommended not using black pencils and suggested the hexagon pencils. So, I'll be trying them next.

Re: Colored Pencil Bottle Stopper - kludge - 07-06-2016

The hex pencils are what I used. Even still, blowouts happen.

Hand sanding was the worst for smearing, and sanding on the belt sander left the cleanest look.

Re: Colored Pencil Bottle Stopper - Arlin Eastman - 07-06-2016

Peter

Where can you buy colored and regular pencils in bulk?

Re: Colored Pencil Bottle Stopper - badwhiskey - 07-06-2016

I snagged some at a truck stop! Coming back from vacation, stopped to use the facility and saw the hexagon pencils for cheap. One pack makes like 4 bottlestoppers, so they kinda go a long way.

Re: Colored Pencil Bottle Stopper - kludge - 07-06-2016

I was buying mine at Staples for $3 a pack...