Woodnet Forums
Coming out of storage .. ugh . . - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Coming out of storage .. ugh . . (/showthread.php?tid=7320992)

Pages: 1 2

Coming out of storage .. ugh . . - Rick F - 07-27-2016

Took 4 machines out of storage,  all had been sitting for 8 months.     All are 230V x PH-3 ..     All are run off a 20Hp Phase perfect and a 3 phase load center. 

First machine runs backwards.  ( Jointer ) ..      Ugh.   no problem..  change 2 wires .. all good. 

Second machine,  (Wide Belt sander) ..   Connect compressed air, turn power on ..   dead.   nothing..  no lights..  nada..  zip ..   Ugh .. 

Third machine  ( Planer )  Try to raise or lower the bed ( Electric ) ..   It makes a moaning sound and trips the Phase Converter.   Ugh... 

Fourth machine . ( Edge Sander ) ..   Just dead.  no symptoms.     

Batting 1 of 4 ..    Ugh ..   Frustrated.

RE: Coming out of storage .. ugh . . - Wild Turkey - 07-27-2016

Check the simple things first -- like on #2 &#4 are all the power connections still good?  Something may have come loose in the move.

DAMHIKT
Rolleyes

RE: Coming out of storage .. ugh . . - Strokes77 - 07-27-2016

(07-27-2016, 06:36 PM)Rick F Wrote: Took 4 machines out of storage,  all had been sitting for 8 months.     All are 230V x PH-3 ..     All are run off a 20Hp Phase perfect and a 3 phase load center. 

First machine runs backwards.  ( Jointer ) ..      Ugh.   no problem..  change 2 wires .. all good. 

Second machine,  (Wide Belt sander) ..   Connect compressed air, turn power on ..   dead.   nothing..  no lights..  nada..  zip ..   Ugh .. 

Third machine  ( Planer )  Try to raise or lower the bed ( Electric ) ..   It makes a moaning sound and trips the Phase Converter.   Ugh... 

Fourth machine . ( Edge Sander ) ..   Just dead.  no symptoms.     

Batting 1 of 4 ..    Ugh ..   Frustrated.
Why would the jointer re-wire itself while it was in storage?  That has to be a clue that somethings wrong with the Phase converter? That is the only thing that is consistent between all 4 problem machines...right?

RE: Coming out of storage .. ugh . . - JGrout - 07-27-2016

(07-27-2016, 08:19 PM)Strokes77 Wrote: Why would the jointer re-wire itself while it was in storage?  That has to be a clue that somethings wrong with the Phase converter? That is the only thing that is consistent between all 4 problem machines...right?

He had to wire it back to the power source so if any two wires were swapped at install the machine would run backwards 

Joe

RE: Coming out of storage .. ugh . . - Rick F - 07-28-2016

(07-27-2016, 11:15 PM)JGrout Wrote: He had to wire it back to the power source so if any two wires were swapped at install the machine would run backwards 

Joe

Yeah.   As Joe said ..  Its not a plug in machine.  You wire a Tec cable from the panel to the machine..   Just swap two wires and the motor direction reverses.

RE: Coming out of storage .. ugh . . - Strokes77 - 07-28-2016

(07-28-2016, 01:06 AM)Rick F Wrote: Yeah.   As Joe said ..  Its not a plug in machine.  You wire a Tec cable from the panel to the machine..   Just swap two wires and the motor direction reverses.

Well at least that makes more sense to me now.  I'm clearly not going to be any help for your problem though...

RE: Coming out of storage .. ugh . . - BloomingtonMike - 07-28-2016

Disconnects turned maybe? Breakers on in the panel? Id get the meter out and start measuring voltage at the panel and work my way to the Tec cable.

RE: Coming out of storage .. ugh . . - Rick F - 07-28-2016

This is funny 

I had the electrician install the 3 phase panel and run all the tec cable.     He also wired up the converter and ran the #2 cable to it ..  

So I placed all the machines, and attached the wires.  

One machine worked.   

He comes back today, and says .  yeah..  the boss said not to actually wire the tec to the breakers until the machines are here..  that way if someone turns the 100 amp breaker on, there won't be hot wires laying around.

They already had one done,  so they taped it up rather than undo it .. lol 

Machines all work now.  
Slap

RE: Coming out of storage .. ugh . . - BloomingtonMike - 07-29-2016

SAWEEEEETTTTT - Awesome. Great Feeling having those run I bet! CONGRATS and WHEW!!

RE: Coming out of storage .. ugh . . - Curlycherry - 07-29-2016

Check the E-stop on the wide belt sander. It might be triggered. Also if it has steering of the belt there might be physical trigger switches. If the belt shifted over onto one of those in storage it won't do anything for powering up until nothing is touching the switch. I've seen that one a lot when I load a new belt and it push it in too far.

With all machines take a volt meter and make sure power is getting to the switch that powers them on. No power means the issue is either E-stop or lack of power.